The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting in a new leg at my farm and have had both steel insert and poured concrete dump pits suggested. Has anyone had good or bad experienceds with either? What are the pros and cons of each regarding ease of cleanout, installation, cost, longevity, rust and water problems? or any other issues you may have experienced. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Have you thought about an above ground conveyor? A pair of belts at right angles allow you to dump an entire semi at one positioning. Put the money saved from the pit into the conveyor and a larger leg. Now you have a faster system and no hole in the ground to fill with water.

·
Registered
657 Posts
i would go with the steel pit if you keep it clean and dry it will last a long time. we had a cement one and after a few years it started to crack then it leaks. i would suggest building a nice cover for your pit so when not using it you can cover it and keep it dry . also if you can build up the area around were your building do it now so your not dealing with water problems the rest of your life. hindsite is is a b***h sometimes when your pumping water all the time

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think if I was in your situation, I would look at buying a couple of used cheap ez-flow grain carts and burying them then you would have a double pit. You can find them for $5K-$7K each. Not sure how they would hold up with moisture/rust- you would have to seal them with something.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A few years back when we put our leg up, we built 2 steel dumps pits. We designed and welded them and have had very little trouble with water. I set up a drain tile system around the base of the pit right after we set the pits in the ground and now we are able to just drop a sump pump down there and pump water out. 8010's suggestion for covers for the pits is the only way we were able to keep water out from the top.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Also, after we set the pits in the ground, we back filled the holes with pea rock which allows water to run straight down to my drain tile so we can pump it out. The pea rock will also help with keeping the steel from rusting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bent, I have considered a conveyor, but more as a temporary or cost-saving solution. It seems like the pit provides the most efficient solution if you could get it at a decent price and avoid some of the water problems. and conveyers seem to be pretty pricey too!

Yam, that thought occurred to me too but I'm finding custom-built pits are made out of 3/16" steel and aren't that much more expensive without having to re-fit augers, gates, and add a grate.

Deck05, how far from your pit did you run the tile for the sump? how deep does it sit in the ground? do you have a drain in the bottom of the pits to run water out of the pit itself? and what's your pit cover made of?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Our sump hole is located right next to the pit. Only a foot, maybe 2 feet away from the pit. Our pits are 10 feet deep in the ground and that is where I ran the drain tile, right around the bottom of the pit. We do not have a drain inside the pit because we thought that would just be an easy way for underground water to seep inside the pit and fill the inside up. The covers I made for our pits are made of steel that I welded together and then I used old worn out baler belts and bolted them around the outside to act a "seal" so water could not get blown up underneath the covers. The covers have worked have well for us.

·
Registered
657 Posts
our freinds put a pit in last year it was sent to them ready to drop in the ground it had the auger tube made on it so all you did was dig the hole and drop it in. it also came with the grate on the top and was well sealed on the bottom so it wold not leak they made a steel cover with forklift pockets on it so they could put it on and off easy. i could find the company that built it if you would like let me know

·
Registered
44 Posts
I built my pit entirely out of concrete, much cheaper than steel and concrete wont rust. I have a drain in mine that runs from the center out under the wall to a sump that I put a sump pump in, my pit is 16 ft deep and holds 1200 bu. I could post pics if I can figure out how.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts