The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some photos I took this harvest. Enjoy!
Coming to the end of the cut on a ridge top.

9860 STS w/936D

Sometimes you don't always get to unload in the best spot! Cool though.

Climbing back up the hill from unloading.

Who says that chopper can't spread 36ft!

Now lets get serious. Enough of the little hills.

Flat ground anyone?

My dad walking along the other 9860STS w/630R.

Head on view.

This machine has the turf tires on it for greater stability on the hills.

Cutting along the 45% slope.

If that don't jump start your heart nothing will!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
holy c***......I think I shat myself sitting here at the comp.
I would be white knuckled all day driving on those hills.
That is simply amazing, makes the flat land of ND, look simple.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
This is truly amazing! I can see in the latter 3 shots that the combine has not reached its maximum leveling capacity, but is still leaning to the left just slightly.
There's just NO room for error or any kind of a hydraulic failure here. This is most definitely putting both man and machine to some test of skill and reliability.

Gotta love extreme harvesting!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These machines were converted at the dealership. Why use turf tires? Well you see there is more surface area around a diamond type tread than there is on an R-1. Now the angle of the tread at which the tire contacts the ground helps keep the machine on the hills as compared to the R-1 which the tread bars are pointing at the down hill side of the slope. There is really nothing to combat the force of sliding down the hill with R-1 tires except lowering the tire pres.

Hydraulic failures are rare around here. There are built in safety checks in each of the leveling cylinders to prevent an accident from loss of hydraulic pressure.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Interesting comments on the diamond tread tires. I had to find that out by reading the operators manual for the John Deere 6602 and Gleaner MH years ago. Looking back at all the hillsider combines throughout the decades, I've never seen any with R-1 lugs in the first place.

I'm glad there are "failsafe" devices for those hydraulics. I'd hate to even think of one malfunctioning.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Very nice!! How are things up there in Spokeavegas?
About
time that somebody else got some steep shots on here. Ask your
old man if he ever spent any time in one of these Bad Boys:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Quote:you guys are insane. i wouldnt attempt to walk that, much less run a combine over it.

What? And miss out on all the fun?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Short or tall we will cut it all! We have peas and lentils which are 3 to 10in off the ground and use pea bars and flex headers for them. There is even some corn on some steep stuff down south.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great pics. I would really hate to be the guy with the service truck that has to drive up there to service those IH's. I've been trying to find out what you guys used before the STS's. Ive seen 7722's but what did they do in between?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
scassell

After the 7722 were the Maximizer combines Or 9600 model. John Deere and RAHCO had a contract to do the leveler conversion to them. It was a 9600 chassis with the same leveler on it as the 7722 but with subtle differences like wheelbase radial arm placement and dogbone pivot location. All of the mods were done to balance out the machine fore to aft. The leveler was a 32 series as the 7722 had a 22 series. Hence the 9632 known around here. It will easily keep you safe and level on hills 45%+.
I will try to find some photos of those machines and post them.

Here is a model of one I made a few years ago. I still make them from time to time for guys who want one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A couple more for ya!
A 9750 sts in 1/32 and 1/64 scale.

A CaseIH 8010 in 1/32.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Quote:98j, just how many of those dear old 95H's or 55H's are even still around? Those are [or were] some combine!

Hey there Combine Girl.....not too many, but there are a few 95's
still kickin' around here.....last time I checked, my old 95 is still
running up in Goldendale, Washington. A 95-H will go where some of the new ones won't.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Quote:Great pics. I would really hate to be the guy with the service truck that has to drive up there to service those IH's. I've been trying to find out what you guys used before the STS's. Ive seen 7722's but what did they do in between?

There were some other choices....like the 9600 series with a leveler
built by John Rea...a very sound set up, too bad it didn't catch on. Of
coarse, for many years if you wanted a Hillside rotary, you were going
to buy a Red one ....JD was still beating the dead horse of cylinders
& straw walkers
( try to buy such a machine from Deere now)
.....as for the guy in the service truck....at least they know what to
do when they get here .....

First with a rotary on the hills with the 1470:

Still going strong on the hills with the 8010.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts