The Combine Forum banner

Steering Angle Sensor for Track Tractor

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ZachGrant 
#1 ·
I am looking for ideas on how to install a steering angle sensor on a track tractor. This is needed to complete my AGOpenGPS setup. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

#9 ·
I am assuming you mean a 2 track machine? I think the only way on one of those would be a rotary encoder on the steering column.

That would work for sure if the wheel always returns to the same position - like a car. A rotary encoder would work.
For example - https://www.amazon.ca/BQLZR-Increme...ocphy=9001283&hvtargid=pla-615629358875&psc=1
I'm not sure if the deere's wheel returns to the same position or not. I know the newer challenger two tracks do.

Is there a way to rely on heading alone since there is no true steering axle? Would perhaps have to run dual antennas like Andreas to get a rock solid heading. Just throwing ideas out.

#8 ·
I would try it on the nose of the tractor. On an articulated unit it only sits nearby the articulation pivot so it isn’t really sensing steering angle, only very minor changes in alignment from the GPS receiver on the cab and its projected path of forward travel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.