The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a john deere 4440 and hytran spewing through center of steering column. For the life of me i dont understand why engineers put hydraulic lines under dash in cab. Ive took metering pump out disassembled it replaced shims and seals three times. Just happened again and i dont know where to go. New metering pump? New shaft? No idea

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Have I got a deal for you!!!! Got one we never used sitting in storage, the one on our 4430 was leaking years ago, on a dealers advice we put in a new one, but it was a newer style and wouldn't work, and for what ever reason never returned it. Think it was like 700 bucks!!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Install another shim on top of the seal where the shaft goes in. Should fix it up. I have had that happen a few times on customer units

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Install another shim on top of the seal where the shaft goes in. Should fix it up. I have had that happen a few times on customer units
Your saying install the shim on the outside of the block? Between the actual column housing and meter block?
One of those .005 thick shims or a shim thats like the one already on top of seal?

·
Registered
470 Posts
One of those .005 thick shims or a shim thats like the one already on top of seal?
Another washer shim that sit's on top the seal. I'm seeing it more often as there units get older. Had a older guy a JD show me this trick years ago. Also check the line goes down to the clutch valve is the proper jd made line. The id of it is slightly bigger then hyd hose. I've seen guys put 1/4 hyd hoses on in place of it and have nothing g but trouble with leakage after.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Another washer shim that sit's on top the seal. I'm seeing it more often as there units get older. Had a older guy a JD show me this trick years ago. Also check the line goes down to the clutch valve is the proper jd made line. The id of it is slightly bigger then hyd hose. I've seen guys put 1/4 hyd hoses on in place of it and have nothing g but trouble with leakage after.

^This.

Although if the block under the hood gets worn (scored) too much it will start bypassing too much oil and cause leaks everywhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts