The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our new to us 2008 Steiger 485 de-stroking valve keeps shutting down.
This stops flow to high pressure pump which of course shuts down all hydraulics. New valve does same thing. Charge pump pressure is 40-50 psi at idle to 2000 rpm. Minimum required is 30 psi at full rpm. This valve is there to protect the main pump in case of charge pump failure. Newer models don't even have this valve. Wondering if we can bypass it. There are 5 hoses going to this valve that fits in the palm of your hand. All different sizes and ends. Maybe the new valve is just defective.
Any ideas or cures?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Destroke valve has been troublesome, I never change vale, just cartridge, 1 inch wrench, changed many, just wash bore out, possible bad valve assy, can't say if you can eliminate, Scott.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ours will act like that if we use high remote flow rates and return into the remote coupler rather than the motor return coupler. Tech at dealership told me the charge pump output is less than the hiflow hyd pumps capacity. The motor return flow is sent to the main pump inlet along with charge flow to keep main pump supplied. Not sure if that is right or not but maybe it will help!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The new valve cartridge was defective. There are instructions in the repair manual showing how to bypass the valve and it ran all afternoon. About 7ish blew out an o-ring on auto steer. Got some higher grade O-rings after hours cause the ones in our kit blew out also. Hope that is the end of the gremlins in that tractor. Will look more into sending the return flow to the main pump inlet. That makes sense. Sometimes there is a small chatter or hum which might be caused by oil starvation at the pump. We did put 3/4" couplers to run the fan. Ritchie bros. had a newer 485 at Lethbridge auction last fall set up like that. Showed up 2 days before the sale which was one month after I bought the one we have. Had 1/2 the hours and went for 30 G less than I paid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts