The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is finally time to change the clutch slave cylinder in my Steiger Bearcat 3 PT225. It has been slowly leaking fluid but getting worse and I want to take care of it this winter. Does anyone have any tips they would like to share? This is not something I have done before. Also where might be the best place to look for parts? I have bought some parts from a CIH dealer. Our local New Holland dealer used to sell Steiger way back when and know this tractor. They said they can get some parts so I will check with them soon.

1978 model year with 3306 Cat. 6500 or so hours. Good machine for my small outfit.
0426171850a.jpg

Thank you,
Jeff

·
Registered
261 Posts
If your Steiger part number is 54-299, go to an auto parts place or online and get a CS36169 for less than half the price. Replace and bleed .

·
Registered
150 Posts
There was talk some time ago about a mechanical conversion to eliminate the hydraulic clutch. I'd be interested in that.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
There was talk some time ago about a mechanical conversion to eliminate the hydraulic clutch. I'd be interested in that.
My ST310 has a home made mechanical conversion. Linkage comes straight down to the arm, with a threaded adjuster in the middle. I suspect the throw out bearing arm must be out of a truck, or else modified.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your Steiger part number is 54-299, go to an auto parts place or online and get a CS36169 for less than half the price. Replace and bleed .
Hey thanks!. I was reading somewhere last night that some of them were replaced with a NAPA slave cylinder that is less than $25 US. I like inexpensive parts. I'm working on the Father in law's skid steer tonight, and hopefully will be able to check things out this weekend.

My ST310 has a home made mechanical conversion. Linkage comes straight down to the arm, with a threaded adjuster in the middle. I suspect the throw out bearing arm must be out of a truck, or else modified.
I never thought about switching to mechanical linkage. I will try to keep the hydraulic for now but if it comes down to it, you never know. Thanks for the idea.

Does the cab floor come up for easier access? I've only had the machine for three seasons and the deepest I got into was surfacing the exhaust manifold and installing new exhaust gaskets. Just minor things otherwise.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
There is a sizable hole in the cab floor, or just stand up beside the transmission.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The CNH part will be made in Italy and your auto store should also be. Identical. Beware of Chinese imitations. $25 seems low. Just crawl under to change. Lots of room.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The CNH part will be made in Italy and your auto store should also be. Identical. Beware of Chinese imitations. $25 seems low. Just crawl under to change. Lots of room.
I thought that seemed low too. napa slave cyl.JPG

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was able to get the slave cylinder out yesterday after I removed the plate in the cab floor. There was no room to stand underneath. I'm not sure if the PT's are narrower than the others. I have a Wagner slave cylinder ordered.

. I'm 6'5" 240 ish lbs so I take up some space anyway. The floor mat is shot so I will get a new one. I have read some people talked about Tractormat and Fehr industries. Does anyone have experience with those mats?

slave cyl.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts