The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying my first large tractor to put in front of an air drill. Don't know anything about them really but I have been told that I want something with closed center hydraulics. I have found a Steiger Cougar 1280. Any thoughts on this tractor? I know some people that run air seeders on tractors with open center and some tractors with open center have added Atom Jet systems to help boost the hydraulics. This is a much cheaper way to go. But I don't know if I would be just making more problems. Any information anyone could share would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I am looking at buying my first large tractor to put in front of an air drill. Don't know anything about them really but I have been told that I want something with closed center hydraulics. I have found a Steiger Cougar 1280. Any thoughts on this tractor? I know some people that run air seeders on tractors with open center and some tractors with open center have added Atom Jet systems to help boost the hydraulics. This is a much cheaper way to go. But I don't know if I would be just making more problems. Any information anyone could share would be appreciated.
Is that a CR 1280? If it is ,it has the Allis Chalmers transmission which was designed for about 160 HP but they used it to get live pto. I havn't heard much bad in steigers but had trouble in 8550. Only run in 5th low low which is straight through the tranny and you will be ok . It is about 4 1/2 or 5 mph. Good speed for direct seeding. Atom jet is a good system if installed and designed right . Ask around at hydraulic shops, Good luck.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
They have 30gpm closed centre hyd they will run most aireeders i ran a seedmaster and dual fan flexi coil on my cr1225 the transmission inst as nice as powershift but is ok for field work we bougjt a 9180 for drill so steiger runs sprayer manure spreader grain cart and many other jobs like discing cultvating and harrowing great tractors easy on fuel easy to work on

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.