·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
think west Australia missed all the frosts but they too have had a below average august rainfall wise
my dear departed dad used to say most important months for rain on a farmers calender in southern western Australia april and august if both are wet a good year happens alas its been proven wrong at times but not far off

·
Registered
181 Posts
A fair bit in our area. Already blokes cutting wheat crops for silage. Late april till mid may sowing times all seem affected. From all assessments we and our agro have done show only a little stem frost damage but we still expect it to be worse than first thought. Our lupins are fine but 1000 of ha's around are totally stuffed especially the further west you head griffith area.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Wedge tail seeded 21/02 seems fine.

A lot can be said farming to the session, we were a week latter with wheat than normal due to a few things, we also had a break mid way through wheat. End of the day sowing mace dry on the 25/04 is not much different to sowing mace 25/05 wet if you have ample moisture and warm days for May as we did this year every year is different. This year April was very wet, may not to bad and may and June were warm so crops jumped.

For my area year in year out its a far safer beet that wheat sowing from the 25/04 to the 15/05 will out yield latter crop even with a higher frost risk.

Sow the right variety's at the right time and tune the plan to the way the year is, use a bit of gut feel.

Madsnake

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I'm told that my wheat is 50% frosted and the barely 70%. As it hasn't rained properly since the end of May it might not make much difference.
Here in Ireland it won't stop raining but then that is Ireland. What a nice place and I'm surprised it's full of yanks but I suppose that have a strong Irish heritage as well .

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I'm going toolondo tomorrow and have been studying what stem frost looks like as my crop was a bit more advanced than some, we did get -3.8 one night so I'm expecting the worse, the late sown stuff may be ok but the birds and roos have pretty much stuffed that.

I'm hoping Forrest has another miracle trait up it's sleeve....

Spending all this money for the hope of a $270 tonne product seems a woeful money making plan

Ant...

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Cheers JT, I really hope to have some spare cash to buy a spreader and a GPS unit..that will make life a little easier.

I need a drone that flies over the crop a few times a day to scare birds...can't wait for that technology...

Ant..

·
Registered
255 Posts
And oats can handle 2 degrees less than barley. But I wouldn't think it would matter with stem frost. If it is cold enough to damage wheat you would think barley and oats would be affected as well. Hope your peas are ok STO.
My brother is cutting frosted wheat at the moment. He has had peas frosted as well but they had some pods on them already so now he will have to harvest them. Estimated damage was around 40%.
I have always believed that it is better sowing too early rather than too late but there is always a risk either way. The extra warm May this year has just pushed early sown crops along so now the frost risk is a big worry.
Good luck to everyone, hope your season turns out ok.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.