The Combine Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologize for the long post. I'm going to use my recently purchased Gleaner G to do my grain harvest. I'm going to store it in my silo. I have a poured cement silo (20 X 70) and I plan on using it as my grain bin. Its been done before (actually in my silo but not by me) and I don't have much choice. My first year at growing my own grain and the silo is empty, in real good shape, has a roof and is dry. My grainery in my barn is a rat's paradise. I plan on laying a layer of black plastic on the bottom and then laying a 100 ft length of perforated plastic tile on top of the plastic to attach a grain aerator. I'll then blow my grain in using an Agri-vac from my dump wagon. Being this is my first year I only have enough grain to go up about 7 feet (almost laughable when you read the discussions on the super 7's capacity) By the way I checked with an engineer who warned me not to go above about 20 feet with dry grain because of the huge horizontal forces created by dry grain. Can anyone give me further advice or tell me if I'm doing something wrong. My hope is to use some for my own feed and sell the rest at the best time (can't in my parts sell it out of the field). Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have stored corn and soybeans in a 16x50 stave silo for years. I was told the same thing about not filling full. Silo is double ringed halfway up. Used to fill it to about 40 feet with shelled corn. Soybeans I am not quite as brave, only fill it as high as the double rings. I poured cement in the bottom with plastic under the cement, makes cleanup easier. Also put an auger tube in the center and came out the bottom door, seems to me that I was told to empty from the center for structural reasons. I have trouble with water seeping in when the weather is wet, so I usually empty before spring.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts