The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9650W with 20.8R38 straddle row duals. I posted earlier about breaking a rim on the inside dual. Well, we have a snow delay while waiting for 10" of wet snow to melt and the fields to dry out. I pulled the outer dual and bolt ring off the other side to check that rim. Sure enough, it was also cracked out between the bolt holes.

So you folks running bin extensions might want to add checking the inner rim to your winter maintenance program. Simply pulling the outer dual won't allow you to check, you must remove the spacer ring so you can see the bolt holes on the inner rim.

This is on a '03 machine with 1600S hours and Mauer extensions for 300 bu max capacity, and either 8 row corn or 25' flex.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Read of your 'rim problems." I know the problems are out there but thought most of them were with the 9600's. You did not mention if your 9650W had planetaries?

If you have the standard final drives, your rim # (inside) will be AH140253 (weight 496#)
If you have planetaries, your rim # (inside) will be AH163172 (weight 517#)
I know your dealer will get you the right rim just trying to illustrate that apparently Deere makes the rim heavier for planetaries. Interestingly enough, the rim for planetaries is the same all the way back to the 9600 w/planetaries up to 9860 w/planetaries.
It seems obvious why Deere voids warranty with extensions, but I can honestly say we have not broken a rim from the days of 9610's with planetaries to 9860's (which use the same rim) and we have extensions of varying brands and sizes. We hardly ever fill them full (because of running a cart) but on 1 occasion (finished a field and standing still) we unloaded 500 bu (30000 lbs) of peas from 1 of them.

I suppose a dealer would tell you if both rims were broke the bolts were loose, but obviously you know that not to be true.

·
Registered
50 Posts
we've constantly ran a big top square extension ona 9500 a 9510 a 9650sts and now a 967osts. never have we cracked a rim or center we consistantly fill it plum full to make a mile round on corn. had 380 metric tires same a 14.9's on all three up to the 9670 where we now have 710s on it. never any failures for us.

will never go without the big extension even if we get a cart.

had good luck for us

1 - 3 of 3 Posts