The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What location should we put straight bars on a 8120 when just using two? All the way to the rear or foward one position? We want to leave the spiked rasp bars on correct? Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was told to install two at the second module and two at the third. Have not tried any corn yet to see how it works, will know in a few days. I did leave the spikes on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After reading up on the internet I'm guessing I need to run them in the rear if just using two. The case harvesting website says to run them in the #3 and #4 position when running four. Can we run four straight bars in soybeans? We usually switch between soybeans and high moisture corn so it would be nice if I could run both with the straight bars in.

·
Registered
657 Posts
we ran round bar grates last fall in corn and the worked perfect. we started out with only two at first. we put one in the left side in the front number 1 grate then we put one on the right side in the the number 2 spot. it did a decent job and that is what brad a engineer from case told us to try. then we bought two more round bar grates now we are running the round bars on both side in the 1 and 2 spots and it works perfect never have any trouble with them building up in wet corn or rainy conditions. if anyone is haveing trouble in corn with trash building up and using to much power i would recomend trying the round bar grates. we have more power now and are using less fuel per hour than with standard skip grate concaves. we know they work good in corn and will never go back to any thing else

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had to remove the straight bars on my 7120 last year when harvesting seed beans.Had trouble with stems in sample and running heavy returns.Took the straight bars out and sample went from 5-8 FM to 1-2 FM. Have to have less than 5 FM for top premium.Last year in corn I was running 8 straight bars. 4 bars in #3 and 4 bars in #4 and had four spikes in #4 to shred caps.Started out with four spikes in #3 position but had to remove them, was getting to many pieces of cob. Round bar concaves in front and skip wire concaves in rear.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have ran round bars up front for the last several years except for the front right concave we were told to always run a large wire there. We have seed beans as well thats why I was wondering if with two straight bars I could get away with keeping them in with beans. We might just run four, 2 in the #3 and 2 in the #4 and take them out for seed beans.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I started out last year in corn with a Large-wire concave in right front but had trouble plugging it with green material. So replaced it with a round-bar and shifted the concaves all the way to the right. Didn't have any more trouble with plugging.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I don't know if this will help you but on my 1660, I run a full set of straight bars (6) and leave them on for beans. For beans, I run the vanes in the fast position over the bars to compensate for them

·
Registered
172 Posts
The problem with a plugged concave is it cuts capacity and mills the grain to small particles that will blow out. You will be able to see it on the back axle and ground.Caps off the end of a kernel.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I think that the large wire in the right front is supposed to be kind of "plugged" most of the time. Doesn't it keep from overloading the right side of the pan under it?

I ran with 3 round bar modules in corn and soybeans last year and got along good, round bars are the best thing ever for high yielding corn.
How would you setup a 8010 for harvesting only corn? That's what I have this year. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts