The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2388 with a specialty rotor, I bought it second hand and it has several straight bars on the back of the rotor,I have owned several combines with specialty and AFX rotors none of which had straight bars other than this one and personally I can't see where it does any better or worse at separating. If I take them off will it free up some HP or should I leave them on, the machine only does soybeans and wheat, no corn......I ask because I will be running a 35' draper on it this year and I'm going to want all the HP I can get.

·
Registered
809 Posts
At one time CIH sold the specialty rotor with what they called the "Rochelle" rotor package on it. I think that the old CIH dealership in Rochelle IL.( Walker/Shork) had a patent on it. You are correct that this is a rotor for harvesting corn. The rotor worked okay in soybeans but we were comparing it to the standard rotor. I do not know if the package is for wheat too. I also don't know if this is the rotor you have in your machine but it sounds like it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
removing the straight bars will free up a fair bit of horsepower, especially if it has all eight on. You will get along a lot better in beans. If you are not concerned about straw quality, you could leave front set on for wheat to help contol rotor loss if you are in high yeilding crop.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for all the reply's, I believe the machine has 4 bars on the back of the rotor, we're gonna start going over the machines soon so I'll pull all of the bars off. Thanks again.............

·
Registered
247 Posts
We run 4 straight bars in wheat (90-120 bushel) and 6 in corn. We leave them on for soys but I'm not sure if you need to.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
none of my other machines ever had the straight bars and they all performed well, I was thinking of removing them and see if it gave a little more HP, I thought I read somewhere that removing them helped give some hp, but maybe I am mistaken.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts