The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in trying to straight cut canola. There's some guys that don't swath any canola and they get by, but curious if anyone does straight cut canola or have tried before. Any pros and cons would be awesome! Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Glyphosate at 70 to 80% color change, we found it works really well. It separating well and didn't shatter in the wind. Lots of guys are scared of shatter but a wind that would shell out canola will also blow swaths around. You need a header with a pea auger, it's a must

·
Registered
636 Posts
we have done some almost every year for the past four or five years. my experience:

pros:
1)no swathing, dont need to worry about picking up a swath blown all over or spend time swathing
2)if you have non glyphosate canola you can use glyphosate to desiccate and it cleans up the field for next year much better than using glyphos after harvest.

cons:
1)even when spraying it takes longer to get in and harvest vs swathing
2)low spots can take a fair bit longer even when sprayed which puts higher areas at more risk
3)hail does significantly more damage to standing vs swathed ( we have experience with this 100% loss in standing 40% loss in swath)
4)must harvest when the crop is ready no waiting while you do other crops or losses can become large

Having said this we continue to both swath and straight cut, we are trying a little of the liberty l140p shatter resistant stuff and we have it in the same field at some l252 so we will straight cut both and see how they do.

I would not be afraid to straight cut we have been doing it for a number of years on limited acres and have always done comparisons with swathed in the same field and other than for hail we have never seen any statistically significant differences.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We use Sprayseed. Contains Diquat and Paraquat. I have been able to harvest canola inside 7 days after spraying. I love harvesting standing canola, beats chasing the windrowers lumps and dead ends.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,889 Posts
Couple of years now direct heading with 9870 and 690, 40' Macdons with cross augers. Not really sure yet which I prefer. Iam not the driver. First year was sprayed but not well. Second year wasn't sprayed due to frost losses. Hard yakka both years. Winding tough green ropey straw thru. Dirty samples, low productivity. Rattleing feeder chains due to build up under them, blew the 2 grates out of the 690. Macdons handled it no worries tho. Cross auger an absolute necessity.

Windrowed canola year after year every year with JD and LEX. Lumps lumps and more lumps. That's about my only criticism of swathed canola. Our rows have never blown, yet..................... Guess I prefer rows at the moment, seems easier to get a sample and can do more t/hr. pickup fronts are often hard to keep going tho and struggle with big rows, but they aren't the pick of the bunch in pickups. Pretty **** fronts really.

Yet to try direct heading with the ***** 760's and 35' varios. Maybe that will work better and faster than what we have been doing.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Puddles got most of the pro/cons already but I will add

Con:
Stress, much more stressful worrying about every storm that passes when it is standing than in the swath, but that might be just me and after doing it for a while that may go away.

Combinability. I found that as soon as the sun went down we would have to stop as is got tough so quick when it was standing as compared to in a swath.

Pros
It always was such a nice black seed, as compared to the swathed areas. The seed was usually bigger as well giving a slight yield bump as well I believe.

I plan on doing some more this year, but definitely not the whole farm. If I get behind in swathing and have a nice thick tangled crop I would not be scared to leave it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
How about the time It takes to combine? You guys that have done both how much slower are you going when straight cutting? I had a neighbor 2 years ago that started strait cutting a 1/4 with two big cat combines the same time we started picking up swaths with two smaller combines, anyways we were done a couple hours sooner. Is that typical? I have always wanted to do some, but what happened two years ago with that big wind scared me off. That same neighbor probably lost 30 or 40% we were more like 5 or10%.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I should also say we have a neighbour that strait cuts all his canola, I don't think he lost any yield hardly to that big wind, that was a timing thing tho. I also believe he staggers his timing when he dessicates so it's not all ready at the same time. He has been strait cutting his canola as long as I can remember, seems to be working well for him.

·
Super Moderator
4,692 Posts
Lots of good points above!

How about the time It takes to combine? You guys that have done both how much slower are you going when straight cutting?
That same neighbor probably lost 30 or 40% we were more like 5 or10%.
That pretty well wraps up why both swathing and straight cutting will continue.;)
My experience was the opposite...that time.:) Next time? :confused:.

I've never pre-harvested yet Neil but even if you do I think the straw will still be raggier than swathed straw.
It is a bit slower and takes more fuel but not more than the combined fuel of two passes if swathed. And I will assure you straight cutting will put less total hours on your body hour meter.;)

Overall yield would tend toward marginally higher though and that's a combination of larger seed and lower losses due to less chaffing and the forced lower ground speeds.

There is no definitive answer however.
I will also be doing both this year.:rolleyes:
Correction. No swathing in 2014.

·
Registered
777 Posts
We have been straight combining for a few years now. We do not desiccate the canola, our experience has been sprayed canola is more prone to shattering.

Based on our experience straight cutting we've seen:
- larger seed size and higher oil content
- once dry, quicker starts in the morning but shut down sooner in the evening, overall a wash
- zero to minimal green seed, much less with an early frost versus swathing into a frost or right after
- clean seed sample compared to swathed
- more consistent seed moisture, doesn't fluctuate as much as in a swath with hot or wet weather
- certain varieties are definitely better than others for straight cutting
- as Don mentioned I like the fact that reduced speed is forced, no going > 5 mph
- takes a bit longer to be ready to combine, which is a negative but for us it works because it seems we always have something we can take off until the canola is ready
- agree swaths take hail damage better than standing canola but I think standing (unsprayed, correct variety) will withstand strong winds better than moved swaths
- don't have to put hours and fuel in a swather :) might be the best part of it
- if we felt we needed to speed things along wouldn't be opposed to swathing a few fields though

·
Registered
868 Posts
Last year straight cut one 1/4 again .
Sprayed low area's with glyf. On lib canola .
As mentioned the sprayed stuff is more brittle and more prone to shell.
Still takes 7 days longer to dry down then swathing.
I tend to straight cut my early acre's cause dry down go' better early in season .
Straight cut is nicer , easier to get clean sample ,less loss .
Still not ready to do lots of acre's , see how new variety 's are doing.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Same here gonna do a little straight cutting again. Four us the feeder house is the limiting factor it seems. Swather is going to stick around for a while yet.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
We experimented with a small strip we left standing beside the rest we swathed in a field but it's a number of years ago now. As I recall it actually worked ok going through the small 20' auger type header but the strip had not been sprayed and was really late when it was finally ready. The seed was very nice though, larger seed over all vs the swathed and darker but we didn't have enough area to do any yield comparison.

The risks which we knew at the time and see with a neighbor that has gotten into doing quite a bit of straight cut, its very late even with spraying and frost may cook it before it gets a chance to dry down enough and then that hail issue. With a good growth of material I don't see it move around much but I would be afraid of a spindly stand on a dry year that would sustain more potential wind damage.

The neighbor with his Claas combines is using 40' headers and what I believe no one had mentioned yet, Keer sheers or maybe its a Claas brand but he has them mounted on both ends and I imagine for a good reason in those crops that are lodged over and fight with the plugging or pushing on the ends otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
4,692 Posts
The neighbor with his Claas combines is using 40' headers and what I believe no one had mentioned yet, Keer sheers or maybe its a Claas brand but he has them mounted on both ends and I imagine for a good reason in those crops that are lodged over and fight with the plugging or pushing on the ends otherwise.
Claas likely has they're own saws.
While nice I'm not sure they are an absolute requirement, conditions are drier when straight cutting dry canola.

Even when swathing because the industry has gradually shifted us to cut at a higher seed color change it's not quite the fight it used to be when we were out cutting really green material.

Mind you, given a heavy enough stand and/or lodged crop end saws certainly do no harm.:)

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I am guessing this farmer ran into some issues with crop conditions as I know a couple of years ago he never had cutters on the ends and now they both .. or was it three combines, all had them. Then again I noted he was harvesting well into the night and in some less then ideal straw conditions I am thinking and as he pours on the fert, pushing the harvest date well to the bitter end of our typical crappy harvest conditions we tend to get up here. Still though, when other fields around had swaths blowing or rolling up into what looked like mini round bales, his canola took it as I didn't see much shelling out.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
You never missed it as I didn't mention that part, north a ways of Grande Prairie, Alberta. The area in Alberta that its rare to have a custom harvesting company come up here as its usually because we are hard pressed and its horrid conditions with a wet fall and need help to get the crop off.

·
Super Moderator
4,692 Posts
You never missed it as I didn't mention that part, north a ways of Grande Prairie, Alberta. The area in Alberta that its rare to have a custom harvesting company come up here as its usually because we are hard pressed and its horrid conditions with a wet fall and need help to get the crop off.
Had a friend rent land up there, let's see here, oh yeah, one year.;)
I hear ya, it was the harvest from ****!:eek:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts