The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think the chopper is going to rob very much power. If it's in the slow speed and if the knife bar is retracted, you should be good to go!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 9610 with a straw chopper and thinking about putting on whirly birds for more power in the corn. any suggestions or is this an off the wall idea.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Have you considered simply taking the belt off of your chopper when you don't want to run it? Would that cause a problem? That would let you have your power when you needed it, and also let you keep your chopper...

there is a guy around here that grows corn under a circle (no, we dont grow much corn around these parts...gotta get on up toward Dalhart, TX for corn), and he had a combine with a straw spredder (whirly bird). The spreader didnt sling the stalks very much..

·
Registered
3 Posts
No we don't run cattle on the stalks after we cut, we just disc them down. And the reason I was thinking the whirly birds is just that the straw chopper to me takes so much more hp to turn it vs the whirly birds.

I know in corn there isn't much trash coming through thats why I was thinking the whirly birds would work.

If I was just to take the belt off and roll it forward I think there would be to much trash in the middle. but it is a thought.

Im just trying to save fuel and possibly run alil faster is the reason I am asking. Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Granted, it takes quite a bit of power to get the inertia of the chopper going...but once its going ; I, too, dont think it takes that much power to keep it going..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts