The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old 6620 that worked fine for my limited acres of Barley (100) However when I moved to my neighbours oats I am getting a lot of short 2-4 inch straws in the grain tank. The crop is overripe and down, The cylinder speed is 1000 and fan 550. Any tips?

·
Registered
480 Posts
1000 rpm sounds really fast we dont even run that fast on hard to thrash wheat.You are probably smashing the straw up more than need be and overloading the cleaning area.

·
Registered
745 Posts
In the dry grain reduce the speed for treshing drum/cylinder. It cuses a lot of shrt straw and the sieves have to work harder...

So reduce the cylinder speed as far as possible. This will discharge the sieves and it shoulod be clean again.

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
With oats we always run at 1,000 rpm. Its incredibly tough to get all the seed rubbed off the stem, and out of the "pods". Plus, oat straw doesn't fall apart near as fast as wheat straw does...
Are you getting any oat chaff into the tank, too?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like your over threshing the crop. try slowing the cylinder and adjusting the concave clearance until the straw is not broken up. also it will make the grain separate easier in the walkers with the longer straw.

·
Registered
486 Posts
you might also be missing a few louvres in your bottom sieve. If thats the case, then just weld some pieces of flat bar in there instead. should work

1 - 8 of 8 Posts