The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at switching from a std rotor to an AFX and am wondering what people's experience has been with wheat straw length on the AFX. We drop all the straw behind our combines and then bale it. We like the longer straw since it makes bales that are easier to handle. I've read a few posts saying that the AFX doesn't chew the straw up as much and that would be a good thing for me. Will I see a lot of capacity increase over the std? Any input would be a appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
I did see an increase in capacity with the AFX rotor in my 2377 over my 1680 with a specialty rotor. I would have to say the biggest increase came at night in soybeans when the dew would start to set in, the AFX feed much smoother. My 2388 with a specialty rotor will walk by the AFX'd 2377 in the day (prolly HP reason) but at night the 77 will out cut the 88. I didnt notice any increase while harvesting corn. And in wheat the AFX would take more straw in tougher conditions. I bale alot of straw behind both machines and I see no difference in the straw length when comparing the 2.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to bale some wheat straw next season but never tried it before. We use a 2388 with specialty rotor in Europe over the last 2 seasons and always chopped the straw. What do you guys make with the straw chopper to get longer straw? I'm also wondering to get some Gorden Bars to get a better straw, but I think the chopper will break the straw even in the low speed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have a standard rotor and the straw comes out pretty chewed up. Does the specialty rotor chew up the straw pretty badly also? Would the Gorden bars make the straw shorter or longer than the regular rub bars?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts