The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Case has a kit for enhancing straw spreading for a 1660 and 1680. It consists of extention shafts to lower the spreading disks so that the chaff will feed into the spreaders instead of falling to the ground in front of the spreader. Has anyone refitted their combine and how effective are they?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Never seen one, but a bloody good idea! Chaff can be a real pain especially if you have to stop, you leave a mound, canola is worst!
Apparently the Gorden air jet blows chaff onto the existing spreaders, about the same price as a chaff spreader but does so much more!!!
Sorry I can't help more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have made a kit that will do the exact same thing. Works like a charm. Completely stops the chaff rows behind the combine and spreads nice and even. I don't know why they didn't come from the factory this way. I even put anti-sieze and tape the top mounts so they always come on/off in no time! I've had them on our 1660 for years. Let me know how much Case is getting for these and if I can do them lots cheaper, I will make some for anyone who needs them!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Case wants $140.00 for the extention shafts and $678.00 for the metal plate and cupped bats that attach to the spreader cone, then there is a shroud kit also. At that price will make my own. Did not have in stock so couldn't tell me how long the extention is. How much did you lower yours and do you have pictures?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't have pictures, I suppose I could take some with the digital camera. We are getting it ready for the wheat harvest. I have modification all over the machine. In the back I tried several things with the chaff pan (over the axle) with different angles, materials, brackets, etc. I don't remember the exact dimensions but I dropped the spreaders down with a common hex shaft and drilled the holes for the top gear and also the spreaker itself (I don't believe you need new ones, or curved bats - although I have seen some interesting designs ie. angle irons) and they come close to that pan in the back and it doesn't leave a strip, and spreads the material well (with the rubber bats to the aggresive position). As a matter of fact, I had to put the bats into the middle position otherwise it spread it too far! I don't know why they didn't do this from the factory! I also put anti-sieze on the shaft for easy on/off situations, as well as covered the top portion so crud can't get into it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Casecanuck: Here you go. I think this is the same kit that you are
talking about. We no-till everything and really need to get that chaff
row spread. This is a shot of the kit on our 1670 ( a 1660 on steroids)
Our ace parts guy told us that to make it work properly, you need to
have the rubber flap (see attached) that forces the material down onto
the spreaders. The kit is slick in that it has quick couplers to allow for
quick removal of the disk's for easy access to the sieves. The original
rubber bars on the disc's are replaced with plastic angled ones. We
just this season added a set of those on the bottom of the disc to try
to get some more action off of the spreader.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
98j - thanks for the pic - i was to cheap to buy the case kit so have done my own retrofit - removed the hex shafts that drive the disks and replaced them with ones that are 15 1/2 inches longer - would send a pic but don't know how to paste into this forum - have you raised the shield that fits under the rear of the sieves and covers the back axle so to allow the chaff to slide into the spreaders?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hey Casecanuck! Left the lower shield alone; added the rubber
deflector in the center. It forces more material coming off of the shoe
on to the spreaders. We put this kit on all 3 combines back when in
about 03. The two older ones are gone, but he 1670 remains. A shot
of the spreaders in action 2 years ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts