The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed that a few of metal bearings on 9600 have significant side to side moment at end of the day but tightens up after greasing. I want do conversion to wood blocks but dont have plans on this year, can you replace the loose bearings with wood or would that throw everything off. My feeling would be all or nothing, anyways just a thought.

·
Registered
269 Posts
In the past..the 9000 series combines had two style of wood walker blocks..the old square blocks like 7720/8820...then a caged smaller set of wood blocks...then the pewter/pot-metal blocks(many older combines converted to metal blocks).

There are wood block kits available for the 9600...however you have to take the little rings loose on the crank journal and slide them to the side(and re-tighten)...Check Abilene Machine or All State Ag Parts..

I put a set in a customer's 9600 and I believe he got the parts from Abilene

·
Registered
790 Posts
You dont need to change them all at the same time. Our 9600 only had some of them done last year....did the rest for this year. The bigger issue is if the bearings are completly worn out they can break and it makes a mess of your walker.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Thanks, I find them very annoying and I like our wood bearings on 8820. How hard is it to change the front ones? Doesnt seem like a lot of room back there.
It helps to have a skinny kid around to help with the front ones. I was younger when we did our 9610 and we used a forklift. Run the forks together and use them to lay on and shimmy in through the side doors. Its tight but worth it to get rid of those stupid pot metal grease eating jokes deere put on from the factory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.