The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about all the stress so many of us are going through, many of us have spring seeding coming shortly, but still have crop to take off. Day to day life is getting harder by the day, brought on by Covid 19. It might be a good time to post some of these help lines for those that are feeling overwhelmed by all that has been going on since the worst harvest ever last year only to be getting worse as the days go on. If anyone has other resources they would like to share, please add them. It might be a good time to share any advice or tips on what you all use or do to keep your mind clear in the hard times.

It doesn't hurt to ask for help, or just even ask someone to listen, they don't have to be able to solve your problems, but just being able to get some weight off your shoulders by venting to someone, anyone, even a complete stranger. If anyone feels they need to just clear some sh!t off their plate, even just get a chance to rant or scream for a few minutes, reach out to anyone, even PM me and I will give you my number, I will listen. As farmers, we have so much more in common than we have differences.

When the whole world seems to be coming down on you, remember you are not alone. When a problem seems too big to handle, try breaking it down into smaller bite sized pieces, and tackle it one piece at a time. Simplify things as much as you can.

I find the littlest things can help ease a guys worries so much. A walk, a drive, bike ride, go fishing, just sit and listen to all the sounds around you, the sounds you paid so much attention to as a child but no longer notice as a busy adult- birds singing, wind in the leaves, water running in a stream.

Sometimes I will go for a short half hour walk in the morning during seeding before I get started, it's unbelievable how much that can refresh you when every minute of spring is rush, rush, rush. It can reset you. I like to go spend time at dads cabin sometimes, even if for just a night. I hope to someday build my own tiny cabin, and the first rule is going to be no cell phones allowed, and no tech gadgets. Turning that kind of stuff off does wonders.

supportline.ca

mobilecrisis.ca/farm-stress-line-rural-sask

kidshelpphone.ca

suicidepreventionlifeline.org

thelifelinecanada.ca/help/crisis-centres/canadian-crisis-centres/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=suicide hotline canada&utm_content=!acq!v3!39436515258_kwd-55273995352__295249858964_g_c__&utm_campaign=Branded+-+Canada&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgtXpo_nX6AIVRNyGCh3TcQOdEAAYAyAAEgKVhPD_BwE

Please add more if you have them.

·
Premium Member
8,219 Posts
Farming is full of things that are out of our control, being able to release these things plays a big part in stress levels. Focus on the things you can control and be proud of that.

Also forget about what the local idiot at the coffee shop says, or the poser on twitter, or the...ahem...guy on the combine forum...lol. Those guys are just as big of a screw-up as anyone. Sometimes I feel like we should have a thread on our mistakes just to stay humble and maybe have a chuckle at ourselves.

But I totally agree on turning the electronics off. Seems to me the people who watch the most news are some of the unhappiest people around. Exercise is a great replacement and should be a daily event. Sometimes when you are the most behind is when it is the most valuable to take a pause from things. The work will always be there and your list will never be done, quite often when you go back at things they go better anyways.

Anyways, good job for posting this kevlar. Remember...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
This is a great timely topic.

My 3 year old just got home from 10 days at the hospital due to a cellulitis infection that turned into a bone infection. Luckily he's on the mend and back to being cheeky as ever.

Due to the visitor restrictions only one visitor per child is allowed. My wife stayed with him. There's no visitors allowed except for children, maternity or final moments here in AB.

Thank goodness for FaceTime it made the days much easier to be apart yet connected.

If anyone you know is at the hospital make sure to give them a call if possible too.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Good post Kevlar. I myself struggle with anxiety. I have turned off the news and even been away from this forum for quite some time. Lately it's the recent terminal cancer my dad has been diagnosed with that has my mind racing. I catch myself everyday lately thinking too much about it. If one looks for the bad in everything you will always find it. Whether it's the TV, phone, computer or newspaper there is gloom and doom if you look for it. This pandemic we are living in adds to all the stress as well. I am trying to cope as best I can by talking to friends etc. It really does help talking and has gotten me through this rough stretch so far. My dad was in great shape for being 80 until now, and he combined and picked rocks etc last yr. I should be thankful to have had him this long in my life as many haven't been as lucky. I have learned to appreciate the time we have on this earth even in times like these. If anyone needs help in these times mentally take the time to talk to someone because you are never alone.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Lately it's the recent terminal cancer my dad has been diagnosed with that has my mind racing. I catch myself everyday lately thinking too much about it.
My Dad passed away from prostate cancer 3 years ago. He was diagnosed 25 years ago and, at the time told he had 3 years at most as it had spread to his bones. A very good friend of the family was diagnosed with Limph node cancer (IIRC ), and told that it was one of the worst ones to get. That was about 32 years ago and she is still with us. There are lots of other examples like these out there. When you catch yourself thinking about your dads condition, think of these examples. I hope you can add your story to these two of mine.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just remember when someone is dying, they don't want everything to be doom and gloom, they still want to laugh and have a good time too. Make the most out of the time you have left.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks Kevlar for reminding us all about the importance of mental health. When depression sets in a lot of times you dont even know the harm you are doing to yourself and loved ones. We are extremely fortunate in Winnipeg to have a mental health ward at Victoria Hospital. The health care nurses and doctors help treat various forms of mental diseases. I can tell you from experience I suffered a severe depression that lasted an extended time left untreated would of caused me certain death. The combination of a poor crop, losing a close friend from cancer and a work related problem caused a failed suicide attempt. My wife and her father got me medical help and the nurses and doctors treated the depression.
I can tell you from experience that anti depressant drugs work very well to level out your emotions. Not every person will react the same to each drug. I was on three anti depressants at the same time until my doc and I found out which one worked best.
Still to this day I take anti depressants and it is amazing the quality of life I have gained. I find in stressful times now I can handle troubled situations better.
The web sites kevlar posted are a great starting points and I just want guys to know there is support out there. One important point I want to make is depression knows no limits. My time at victoria hospital I met patients who were doctors, nurses, dentists, and even drug dealers. Man the stories I heard there. Any ways, dont be afraid to ask for help, because it will save your life or a friends life.
On a side note, Try not to do meth. I personal met three guys at the hospital that basically fried there brains with that stuff. Its terrible stuff.
I will always be thankful for the help that I got at the Victoria Hospital.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts

Iowa number, but they'll answer any calls. Know a person that works it, says call volume is extremely high.

Think there was a thread last fall on this issue, good to revisit it again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I remember what a friend of mine told me years ago that changed my, all work and no play lifestyle! At the time I was a single dad, raising my 3 kids, 1800 acres of cropland, 250 acres of hay and 100 head of cows! My life was on spincycle!! I had my boys at summer hockey in the city on a hot and sunny day before rain was coming...my friend had the "nerve" (LOL) to ask me how haying was going? Me being stressed out and on edge said to him "I should be home bailing now, instead of fricken in here with hockey, it's supposed to rain...blah, blah, blah!!" Stress level through the roof!! He turns and says something I will never forget! " You know what...sit down and relax, enjoy watching your boys play hockey, because a 100 years from now, it isn't going to matter anyways!" The next year, the cows were gone, hayland broke up and I was strictly grain, I spent more time with my kids, camping, boating, fishing, golfing and anything else! Probably if I would have did that 5 years before I would have still been married! Stress and work overtook my life, I felt lazy if I wasn't busy, my father instilled in me a work, work, work and no play work ethic, so when he passed away when I was 21, I not only took over the farm, I also took over his work ethic!
Yes, there is always work to do, but take some "me" time for yourself to unwind and relax, it's not like it won't still be there tomorrow! Especially with those jobs that can wait a day or two! And never stress about the things that are totally beyond your control...it's a waste because you can't change them no matter what...Mother Nature being the big one! She has no rules and gives zero f**ks!!
So just remember, as bad as it seems at times, it will only get better! And like my friend said..."100 years from now, it isn't going to matter anyways!!"

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I remember what a friend of mine told me years ago that changed my, all work and no play lifestyle! At the time I was a single dad, raising my 3 kids, 1800 acres of cropland, 250 acres of hay and 100 head of cows! My life was on spincycle!! I had my boys at summer hockey in the city on a hot and sunny day before rain was coming...my friend had the "nerve" (LOL) to ask me how haying was going? Me being stressed out and on edge said to him "I should be home bailing now, instead of fricken in here with hockey, it's supposed to rain...blah, blah, blah!!" Stress level through the roof!! He turns and says something I will never forget! " You know what...sit down and relax, enjoy watching your boys play hockey, because a 100 years from now, it isn't going to matter anyways!" The next year, the cows were gone, hayland broke up and I was strictly grain, I spent more time with my kids, camping, boating, fishing, golfing and anything else! Probably if I would have did that 5 years before I would have still been married! Stress and work overtook my life, I felt lazy if I wasn't busy, my father instilled in me a work, work, work and no play work ethic, so when he passed away when I was 21, I not only took over the farm, I also took over his work ethic!
Yes, there is always work to do, but take some "me" time for yourself to unwind and relax, it's not like it won't still be there tomorrow! Especially with those jobs that can wait a day or two! And never stress about the things that are totally beyond your control...it's a waste because you can't change them no matter what...Mother Nature being the big one! She has no rules and gives zero f**ks!!
So just remember, as bad as it seems at times, it will only get better! And like my friend said..."100 years from now, it isn't going to matter anyways!!"
Yes spending time with your kids will yield more than work ever will. After all, what are we working for other than to raise healthy kids. I could follow my dads work ethic as well as he got carried away with work being most important. Luckily my mom would wake him up occasionally. On a farm there is an abundance of stress always each day. It is how you handle it that makes the difference. My wife always corrects me on bad days and finds the good in everything. I have learned a lot from my 2nd wife. Our kids have any sport they choose to play if they wish. Team work is a huge building block in building character. Not to mention the circle of friends we have created needing 4 communities to make a team. I love meeting the hockey parents.Baseball as well. This pandemic really sucks right now because I miss the sports as much, if not worse, than my kids. I always looked forward to game days to enjoy time with parents. It just took the edge off of farming and kept things in perspective. 95% of what I am dealing with other farm parents are going through the same. Even my dads cancer. Hard to find somebody who's life hasn't been affected by it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts