The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like said, I've found a couple stripped out holes when I went to replace the lugs on my accelerator rolls. I guess I could drill them out to accept 916" bolts, but was thinking metric might be better.

What size metric bolts would be the best alternative?

Thanks!

· Registered
131 Posts
I used a thing called time-sert u drill it out tap it and then put them in kimda like a helicoil but there a solid plug seem to work i torqued them and loctit also i had some new bolts strip so i reused the old one and they help better

· Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I'm looking for the next size up from 3/8" in metric that'll make threads that'll hold in the existing hole, if that makes sense. So will something like 10 or 12mm be big enough to cut new threads?

· Premium Member
1,791 Posts
I wouldn't do any of that, I would weld or braze and put it back to the original size, or make them all the same, you can get into problems when you take it apart and put the wrong bolts in the wrong place and really have a field day with cross threaded bolts. if you are going to keep this equipment for a long time I would spend the time and do it right, Just my 2 cents.

· Registered
333 Posts
I considered using wire welder to put 3 tack blobs around holes then grinding smooth and ramming those self tappers back in. I think it would work. A standard bolt has better thread root diameter and will hold with loctite if not too far gone. They could have used a thicker tube and solved this problem. A punctured hole where the material is folded in to create a depth would work better. AKA the half tube covers on feeder chain drive shafts. Probably need a die to prevent crushing tube. + $$$$

1 - 12 of 12 Posts