The Combine Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some thinking and since most crop is planted and there has been lots of discussion on strippers in the past.
They were primarily developed to reduce overload on combines in various forms. With the above average moisture and snowfall the last few years do the issues of cool and sometimes wet ground overpower the benefits. Some feel even with a regular header they should cut lower to warm and dry the ground quicker .
We went from Mt. border to Lloydminster this weekend and I can only say I saw 2 places where they used one .
The weather man says Sask. is headed for warmer than average summer so the tall stubble may have huge benefits if it doesn't rain this summer.
With a few more strippers around I thought this could be an interesting topic.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
We use one, in the stubble height discussion, there is a topic going on and posts there are about it too. Better here maybe

With tall stubble, you keep the wind off the land and it creates its own microclimate. You will have more residue with a disc on the surface to prevent the ground from drying out. You can have almost no disturbance with a disc compared to a hoe/tine. After all that - you can seed shallow and have moisture close to the surface. Maybe?

Here, if the straw is 3 feet tall, there is snow right to the top of the straw, ground hardly freezes below that blanket. Melts quick, and warms up fast. Usually the first fields where growth begins.

So that is why i leave the straw alone and it helps me. Also, straw can't hairpin if its not on the ground. Works in flax, barley, oats, wheat, faba, peas to strip and leave alone. The flax is the most convenient not to touch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts