The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There must be a big black market demand for those shields...mine was stolen also.

BTW wht tire size is that.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
I show a couple pics after wheel stop grinding. If anyone likes, I'll add

The top 2 may give you a feel for wheel cut. The bottom one shows using the entire cylinder stroke.

Oh oh. I wonder who stoled the chopper drive shield?

Don

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
Quote:There must be a big black market demand for those shields...mine was stolen also.

BTW wht tire size is that.
Thanks.

Those are 28LR-26 Titans. Note the axle is set so the combine sits the highest, so it matches the 1100-45R-46 Titan tires on the front

Pepsi can on valve stem for illustration only. Note one step added to ladder, but tighter spacing, still a good hike.

Why only Deere can run these tires. And Deere has far more room than anyone. Sparrow chit not included.
These tires have higher gross flat plate then duals, are narrower, ride excellent, field or road, header or nothing.
Downside? Combine is over geared, hence the 4WD. Run in 2nd, low, good field speed and by kicking off 4WD, speed increases 180%. And there's still high, Kind of a hydro X powershift.
And that black market shield thing is reaching an epidemic. They got the left feeder house shield, discharge beater shield, the...

Don

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
Quote:So people really steal the shields off your machine?? For what reason? I would hope it's not other farmers.
Umm...*cough*

Don

·
Registered
504 Posts
Don do you have a link for the Titan website that show's those tires? I've been looking for a while and can't find anything. I really like that setup both front and rears.

·
Registered
504 Posts
http://www.titanstore.com/info/G8M716

I found it last lat last night.

What about your rear tires? Got a model number for them? Its hard to read the sidewalls on the back tires in your pics but you can see the fronts ones pretty good. Thats how I found the tire on Titans site. Its hard to navigate and when I typed the size in, nothing was found so I had to go by model numbers. Nothing is simple anymore...

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
Quote:http://www.titanstore.com/info/G8M716

I found it last lat last night.

What about your rear tires? Got a model number for them? Its hard to read the sidewalls on the back tires in your pics but you can see the fronts ones pretty good. Thats how I found the tire on Titans site. Its hard to navigate and when I typed the size in, nothing was found so I had to go by model numbers. Nothing is simple anymore...

You are a better detective than me. Good work! I did find contact info,

Roger Plemmons
Titan Marketing Services Inc.
217-221-4452 Phone
217-221-4423 Fax

This is about 6 months old, you know how that can go.
If you talk to Roger, feel free to use my name, Don Boles. He'll remember, it's not like they've sold a million sets.

HI-LOAD HARVESTER (dam amateur photographers) 28LR26

More numbers. 1-800-USA-BEAR
Good luck!
Let me know how you make out.

Don

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
Quote:Don do you have a link for the Titan website that show's those tires? I've been looking for a while and can't find anything. I really like that setup both front and rears.
I can't either. I wonder if some thing happened in the Titan acquisition of Goodyear Ag? I've got contact info somewhere, will forward when I find!
In the mean time:

The best 10 bucks you'll ever spend for handling

The best X bucks you'll ever spend on steering. (Autotrak steering valve).

Don

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Those are some nice boot's on that machine Don.

In pic # 1 what is that chain for hanging from the middle of the axle? Doesn't look big enough to hook a tow strap to it.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The thought crossed my mind I just never seen it done on a combine or any farm implement for that matter.

Man I guess I don't get out much.

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
Quote:
Quote:Those are some nice boot's on that machine Don.

In pic # 1 what is that chain for hanging from the middle of the axle? Doesn't look big enough to hook a tow strap to it.

Helps with static cling and keeps dust off windshield and makes neat sparks when roading after dark LOL

Notice Don has one at the front and on rear axle

Well it might help that, but actually it was suggested by John Deere detac. We had a smoldering fire that there was no accounting for, on the ledge over the concave supports on right side. It was in canola, a cool day, and happened within 5-10 minutes of start up. It was a Sunday, but I've never found the 9860 to be particularly religious. The chains were added and it didn't occur again, but I'm not sure that proves anything. Benny you may remember the ITV weatherman Bill Mathason (Since passed). He had an expression that fits here "Just part of the unexplained". He was a neat guy.

Don

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yes I do remember Bill Mathason, I was fairly young during his time as weatherman but the fact that I remember a ITV weatherman speaks volumes.

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
Quote:Yes I do remember Bill Mathason, I was fairly young during his time as weatherman but the fact that I remember a ITV weatherman speaks volumes.
Certainly one of a kind. They broke the mold after Bill.

Don

·
Registered
29 Posts
Static

On the static comment, I was up in the engine compartment tonight to check out a potential problem (turns out it was nothing) and with the engine running I reached up to put the hand rail up above the engine that folds up to climb into the grain tank. Got a nice little shock when I touched some metal above the engine. So I would guess static electricity can build up to a pretty good charge. Enough to start a fire? maybe.

John

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
Quote:On the static comment, I was up in the engine compartment tonight to check out a potential problem (turns out it was nothing) and with the engine running I reached up to put the hand rail up above the engine that folds up to climb into the grain tank. Got a nice little shock when I touched some metal above the engine. So I would guess static electricity can build up to a pretty good charge. Enough to start a fire? maybe.

John

I don't know John, there was certainly no other explanation. Just the right set of circumstances. But when it comes to chain dragging, I sometimes wonder if the only difference is, when combine burns up it would just weigh more.

Don

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
[/quote]
I don't know John, there was certainly no other explanation. Just the right set of circumstances. But when it comes to chain dragging, I sometimes wonder if the only difference is, when combine burns up it would just weigh more.

Don [/quote]

lol Now that's positive thinking.

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
Try to show how much I cut.

With out benefit of before pictures, I think the right orange handle represents original stop location roughly, it was trail and error.

And now for something COMPLETELY different.

My favorite summertime hobby (also checks crops). As you can see prefer function to fashion (read not clean).

I'm the original owner. It will be the 20th season next year.
No new Goldwing for Don until Honda gets an automatic or CVT, maybe 09!
This is the only thing in yard (that puts on any hours) that has a clutch. Can't have that.

Don

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Quote:Don!!!! not only do you have a JD combine *cough* without shields in place BUT you drink Pepsi too !!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing wrong at all with Pepsi. If and when I do drink pop, it's Pepsi or RC for me.

By the way, Don, that's an amazing articulation of the steering wheels. I never realized such could be achieved by simply removing the stops. I realy suggest you find a good sized concrete slab or nearby parking lot to do the test, but just spin this machine about, in either direction, and measure its exact turning radius by the skid marks of each tire.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts