The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting 2 sts' ready for corn harvest in australia at moment, one a 9650 one 9660, the last year when we run the 50 in corn the swing down panel behind the chaffer, in front of the chopper with the 2 spring loaded clips underneath took an absolute beating, we tried running chopper in low speed and then high, dont really want to leave an unspread row of trash behind the machine by not running the choppers and having them in the window position, but just wondering if any one else has had this happen or is there something im doing wrong??

·
Registered
192 Posts
What do you mean by beating, we harvest corn with our 9750 STS and have no trouble at all. Did you swing the door/baffel thingy above the chopper to the corn position, that`s all we do different when going to harvest corn (Also take the cutting blades out). What part of AUS you from, i`m from Atherton Tablelands north Qld.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
last year it blew a hole about 20cm threw it in the middle, in my 50 that panel you say about bolts in, the 60 it swings into place, you take the blades off the chopper? im from northern NSW

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
The reason the deflector plate takes a beating is so your sieves don't. I've seen a pic of a header after harvesting corn without the deflector plate in the corn position and the sieves were totally destroyed.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i understand what the deflector plate does to save the sieves, we run it each time we set it up, its the panel that swings downwards with spring clips underneath that i referred to in my first post we are having trouble with being damaged not the deflector plate

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have had trouble with the door you are talking about in Corn before. Yes it breaks and gets smashed up because parts of cob it thrown back from the chopper at a million miles an hour. Only thing I can suggest you do, is that you find one from a burnt combine somewhere and reinforce the crap out of it with bits of flat, and then use that one for corn only.

The chopper itself also causes a fair bit of headaces, but there are ways around that aswell.

Shape and weld a 10 mm roundbar to the bottom edge of your spreader vanes. (you know the ones that guides the material coming from the chopper out to the sides) That stops them from being shot to bits. The very outer ones that deflects it the most might even benefit from having a bit of roundbar being welded along the middle on the backside. Because they always die first. You can leave the roundbar there when youre done, because it doesnt affect its spreading ability in cereals.

Also I highly recommend that you put the chopper on slow, and just live with a poorer spreading result.

Drop the chopper knifes, if you havent already. Because they will absolutely die if you dont. If you are going to harvest corn over a long period, I suggest you start every morning by starting up the combine, engage the seperator and bring it up to full throttle. Then put a hand on the chopper and check if its vibrating. If it is, you want to spend half an hour balancing it out, because it causes metal fatigue on the back part of the combine incredebly quick and will eventually make the chopper break of your combine.

I would always ask the client I was harvesting for, if I could windrow it, in case he had to burn the field afterwards anyway, because it would save me hours of repairs afterwards.

I have often though about taking all the flails out of the chopper, and replace them with a bits of flatbar and then balance them out. Because you are not chopping the corn chaff anyway, just throwing it, and you dont really need to break 300$ flails for doing that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts