The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get information on the JD STS machines? I'm looking for informational, setup or even an overview of the machine geared toward someone who has never been around them. Even a video or book geared toward a service technician would be great.

We have been running Walker machines forever. We have been running 9610's since 1998. I know these machines inside and out. We missed the 50 series, 60 series and we are just now jumping into the 70 series. We are starting from square one again. We will be getting our new combine (9870) in July... hopefully, and need to know more about it before corn harvest in late August.

I've seen everything on the JD website. It is very vague to say the least. I need to know details like how to change rotor speeds, feed accelator speeds, what, when, and if they need changing. What crops or crop conditions to use concave inserts in. Even performance issues like engine and rotor load, capacity issues relating to concave/rotor, grain loss motoring, etc.. I'm looking for something more hands on like if the STS machine had just come out and nobody knew anything about it. I can't find anything out there online like this. Can you guys help?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
could ask your dealer for an owners manual and start reading about it before it arrives. As big as the owners manuals are, you'll probably finish the manual as soon as the combine arrives, lol.

·
Registered
262 Posts
9870 (big machine) Did you get a new 12 row chopping cornhead too? This is a giant step up from a 9610. Support equipment will need to be upgraded also. Operators manual would be a good source of info. There are dvd's or videos available from your dealer. If he does not have them he can order them.

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
Get yourself an operators manual. It's the best way to get a feel for a machine.
I have never purchased a major piece of farm equipment without reading the operators manual first.
Up to and including the 724 page Lexion manual.

Don

·
Registered
36 Posts
Go to the thread 70 series command arm. Quick and dirty run down of the new control arm but it atleast lets you get your feet wet. The controls are a world apart from your 9610...just have to be patient, any new technology takes time to master.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:9870 (big machine) Did you get a new 12 row chopping cornhead too? This is a giant step up from a 9610. Support equipment will need to be upgraded also. Operators manual would be a good source of info. There are dvd's or videos available from your dealer. If he does not have them he can order them.

No 12 row, just an 8 row for now. We could never keep up with a 12 with our "huge" three and a half man labor force! We are going from two 9610's to one STS machine. We couldn't keep operators in both 9610's full time anyway. For us I feel one big machine will be a better fit anyway, especially in wheat and soybeans. By the way we will be running the MacDon FD 70 up front. An 8 row seems like kind of a waste for a machine of that size but it is what will work best for us now at this time. There is simply too much other equipment we would have to change out to make a 12 row work.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1-16 row planter
2-16 row toolbars for sidedressing N
1-16 row cultivator for plowing furrows
would need more trucks and more operators

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
binbuster
Go to the dealer that sold you the 9870STS or any dealer and ask for DSAENV39655 CD for the 70 series and JDDVD20071 DVD for the 60 series they can find it at JDU on Pathways.
There is also a one day class at Wichita, KS in March and April or Davenport, IA in Sept. You can find this on JohnDeere.com under Agriculture then Service and Support then John Deere University then Customer Connect Training or
http://www.deere.com/en_US/ag/servicesupport/jdu/index.html
http://www.deere.com/en_US/ag/servicesupport/jdharvestlink/index.html

·
Registered
289 Posts
Quote:1-16 row planter
2-16 row toolbars for sidedressing N
1-16 row cultivator for plowing furrows
would need more trucks and more operators

You can plant 16 rows and harvest twelve. I've seen it done many times and harvested that way myself.

The best way to set a combine is to start with the little quick start guide, that will come with your combine. Then start harvesting and fine tuning.
Conditions and varieties vary too much anymore to say more up front.
If you have a custom harvester nearby, when harvest starts for you, he would be the best to ask.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Do you plant with an 8 row now? And it would be no problems to plant 8 or 16 and harvest with a 12. We plant with a 10 row and still harvest with 8. In fact most of our equipment is still 8 row, the only other things we changed when we jumped up to a 10 row planter were the cultivaters and hillers. Everything else we've kept the same same and works fine. If guess rows are a concern those are no problems you can easily crowd those in.

And as far as getting the machine set up and going the quick start guide that Ralf suggested is a really good start. Also you'll have the one touch auto set menu on the corner post display that you can start with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts