The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using large wire concave in Beans and Corn (central Iowa conditions). We currently have all round bar, but would like to cut our rotor loss in corn.

I've heard the factory now recommends adding large wire concaves, starting at the front, untill the loss is acceptable. We don't have much loss, but want even less.

Suggestions? I don't want to be switching these things out all the time when we switch between corn and beans.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
We tried putting large wire in the front position for corn and it improved the losses, never added any more to see the result. 150-185bu corn in the 16 to 20% moisture range. Round bar concaves full length work the best for us in soybeans.

·
Registered
400 Posts
we have a customer that all he runs is large wire. wheat, barley, corn, soybeans, and some sunflowers.
he runs inserts in for the small grains and when conditions require in soybeans. the inserts are real easy to take in and out if you are switching between crops
he is pretty happy in the 2 years that he has ran this way

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the input. Anyone else? I would lean toward the Loewen rather than the JD concaves.....opinions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
In Mississippi I have ran all large wire for years in all crops. Works well. This year tried set of all round bar. It was not good wheat at all. Rotor Loss from overload on one side of shoe. We all worked differt arrangement of concave. What worked best was large wire front and rear with round bar in center. The center section is were return dumps in rotor and this stopped matting from green material.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A couple of the neighbors said they bent the concaves on their new machines last year. After that they could not zero them out. Thought they may get aftermarket heavier built ones. Anyone else having this problem?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts