The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9660STS and this is my first time to use a rotary in wheat. It is doing a good job except for chaff/hulls in the tank. There is no straw, just the seed hulls. I have a 630F header running from 3 to 4.2 mph in 80-90 bu. wheat.

I have the option which automatically sets the combine to the preferred settings. I looked in the book to find the recommended ranges for adjustment and they are very narrow. Are these ranges accurate enough that I need to stay within them??

I know in some respects the rotary is different on your approach to setting them. Any experienced STS men have any tips which could help me? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
129 Posts
hb,
If conditions are bone dry, I agree with harvester, open up and slow down the rotor, it could be overloading the sieves. If its tougher going, I run the rotor all the way up and run the fan as high as you can, before you start to lose it out the back. We also cover some of the grates at the back. It seems to carry some of the lighter stuff out, that your talking about. We harvest hard red, I don't no what your harvesting.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
80-90 bushel wheat, 30'head on a 9660 at 3-4mph, I would say that you are running pretty fast ground speed. How much is running out the back if any?
The rule of thumb for a rotor is - rotor as slow as possible, concave as open as possible, fan as fast as possible, and seives as open as you can so air flows through it and keeps the mat suspended. If you are getting what we call white caps I would install filler plates on the concave so the material and machine has another chance to thrash the caps off the seed. Also keep the machine full of crop, I was always taught the you want the crop to thrash most of the seeds out and the concave is mostly for the tough thrashing seeds.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in Soft Red Winter Wheat in West Tn. I have inserts in the first two slots on the concave (we bought the machine with 200 hrs on it and they gave me the 2 inserts for wheat). On the speed I tried slowing down, but it didn't help, I've been trying to keep it full. It is losing a little out the back, but not a lot.

The wheat is very dry and easy to thrash. The adjustments yall mentioned are just what I have tried except I was nervous about going too far out of the range in the book, being new to a rotor. I'm assuming I should just start there and adjust as needed without worrying about their range. ex. they have fan speed 750-850 seems like the light stuff in my tank should be being blown out, but i jacked it up to 980 and it's still coming in. I was running the other stuff within their range. rotor 750, concave 20, 16 & 6 on the screens. - Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
486 Posts
Go again like you normally do and get the same problem with that stuff in the sample. Then stop the machine and open the door on the tailings elevator and tell me what you got in there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried a power shut off yesterday. I may just be overloading the screens. This variety is very dry and brittle, the head is just exploding with the little husks all coming off the head. I have the cylinder as slow and concave as open as the range in the book says (750 and 20).

My tailings had clean grain in it, and there was some seed riding out as well. I tried slowing down, 3 mph max, the loss monitor in the cab was showing an improvement, but it didn't solve the problem totally. I can live with the hulls (cut one other bearded variety that was clean in the tank with the same settings). I don't want to lose grain, obviously, but I've never cut any wheat this good (97bu/ac on 50 ac. yesterday), maybe I'm pushing it.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I've found that when the tank is dirty I always tend close the seives, and usually find that they need opened a bit more than the original setting so the air will flow through and clean better. You may be overloading the cleaning area if you are taking a lot of straw in too, maybe slow down a bit more. Any grain coming out the back of the rotor?

·
Registered
161 Posts
We are new to the STS machine also. We ran one of our 9610 walker machines side by side with the STS this week in wheat. The grain tank on the walker looked like it had seed wheat in it compared to the STS. Our STS also had a lot of chaff and unthrashed pieces of wheat heads in the sample
We have a corn combine with round bar concaves as this combine will see alot of corn and beans. Our dealer set us up with two concave inserts on the first concave. After seeing results from that setup we installed two rows of closure plates on the first and second "slots", and the concave inserts on the third and fourth slots. We still had no dramatic results.
Then we tried moving the inserts back to one, and two and put closures on 3,4,and 5 (centered over the tailings return). This is the setup we have used since Monday. This last setup has improved our sample, but not by very much. These are the settings that I have "settled" into as changing them seemed not to help the problem.
Rotor 950
Fan 1050 (9870 requires higher Fan speed)
Concave 3-5
Chaffer 17
Sieve 6
Feed accelerator on "High"
I have notice that the "white caps" as you guys call them somewhat go away after dark as it starts getting "tough"

Am I over thrashing the wheat before it has a chance to get through the concaves? Can the feed accelerator on High be adding to my problem? What about my rotor and concave settings? I have read the above recommendations for closure plates but I assumed they pertained to a small wire concave. I will try running the concave more open and the rotor slower until I see separator loss. Am I on the right track with my way of thinking? I have Zero rotor experience.
Our next step will be to switch concaves. We will use small wire in grain sorghum this year and in wheat next year and from then on. We will switch back to round bar in corn and soybeans. So essentially from a time line standpoint we will go wheat/small wire, corn/round bar, grain sorghum/small wire and finally soybeans round bar. Am I crazy wanting to switch concaves out four times a year?
Anyone else out there trying to make the round bar concaves work in wheat? Hb35 what concaves are you running in your machine? I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread, I'm only trying to share with you my experience as well.

·
Registered
400 Posts
if your conditions allow you to run your feed acc in low, i would recommend it. the more intact the material when it gets to the rotor, the less chance of over-threshing, and thusly a better job

1 - 10 of 10 Posts