The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Hiya
Seems the fire story started a while back and not with me here in Africa. If this was posted 2006. I was already having problems with my machine then. You would think the JD tech heads would have solved that issue before adding more gadgets and electronics to their machines. It seems research sometimes steers away from real issues of concern.

By the way I had to blow the machine out after every tank of sunflower otherwise by second tank full FIRE!!!!!

· Registered
31 Posts
HI there.

Just to put you in the picture a bit here. Our nearest dealer is 500km away. The John Deere dealership in Zambia falls under the dealership in South Africa so the ultimate authority rests in an air conditioned office in another country. We do not have the massive production and area of tilled land such as USA and Canada so hence a lot fewer machines and less people really qualified to sort out technical issues. I have sent a zillion pictures and emails. Unofficially I got told the conditions were to dry so that is why I had fire issues. I am a contractor and when the farmer calls I harvest. FUrthermore, the red machines 2388's were running side by side mine in exactly the same condtions, no problems. I then asked the JD guys in South Africa to please define what is too dry for the John Deere. They then could not answer because they were then unofficially saying the STS could not do the job but the Case could.
I like the STS because of the capacity over the 2388's. I have not seen one AFX8010 yet here. But when one colour burns and the other does not, you do not need to be rocket scientist to work out which one to buy , plus the Brazilian 2388's are way cheaper...hmmmmm. The saga continues, am about to start soybeans and then 6weeks or so into sorghum(milo)
and sunflowers. Then the fun can begin. I will see whether the strait pipe mod will stop the fires.
ANy thoughts welcome all the time

· Registered
31 Posts
Straw spreader and no fires do not start there. The dust accumulates there and the embers land there and start a fire there or in the spreader tubes , real b......d to put out . The embers are blown from the engine fan down left hand side of machine due to fluting in engine bay and they land up generally on left hand side of spreaders.

· Registered
31 Posts
Hi there all. Remember me, from Africa, having fire issues in sunflowers and milo(sorghum). Well this year I had one fire and that was because I did not blow the machine out for one and half days work!!!this was just tosee how far I would go before catching alight. Before I would be blowing the MACHINE OUT AFTER EVERY SINGLE TANK!!!! The change I made was to cut the mufflerr and connect the remainder of exhaust direct on to turbo. Makes a slight bit more noise , uses less fuel, exhaust system breathes easier meaning it ( the exhaust system components) runs cooler and surprise surprise makes less fires. Wow , I really wonder , why, I, here in deepest darkest Africa have to work this one out.... how much are those tech heads in their research departments getting paid??? here's to happier and safer harvesting!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.