The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At one time on this forum there was talk of the STS machines when they came out with I think 60 series and had a new radiator door that was the new down draft design, instead of louvers on the side. Deere I think came out with a kit for the older machines for those who wanted to add the new radiator air scoop. My question to those who either changed their machine over to the new setup, or had machines side by side in the field with both old and new doors,, How did the new setup work??? My concern is the amount of dust and debris my radiators pass is wearing them out quickly and I have dry climate most of the year so corrosion is not an issue. Im thinking of making changes to help my problem, Also do the air filters stay cleaner longer not sucking so much dirt form the side of the machine?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The air scoop on the side was a huge improvement over the slated side machines. On the wheat harvest run we went from having to blow out are filters every other day to roughly every 100 hours or so. But this is in extremely dusty conditions with multiple machines running so im sure there was more dust in the air than just a machine running alone.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is exactly the results Im looking for, we are in heavy ultra dry wheat, drought has made terribly dusty roads surrounding the fields too, three machines in one area including cart, trucks in and out all day. We blow the filters out every day, they wont make it much further than that. I have made mods to the air cleaner systems which has helped out quite a bit, I could probably get two days out of them in the wheat now we are in corn and its different conditions.
mocutter did you add the scoop to yours or did you just have the later series machine? If so do you know for sure if deere changed any of the air cleaner component design between the two years to contribute to cleaner system?
Anyone else had the same good luck?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Looked like they added it to earlier STS machines that didn't have it. It would take a lot more changing to put it on a steel sided 9600. Be pretty nice if it could be done though, lots of crap gets pulled in those side slots, especially when the wind is blowing the chaff right back around.

·
Registered
578 Posts
kinda off topic, but i saw a 9610 a few weeks ago that had a 50 series walker cover on it. you know the rounded newer look?? looked pretty neat. i suppose it was in an accident or something and it was replaced with that one.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
We found that our engine area and radiator wasnt noticeably cleaner than a machine with the slated sides. I dont know if it would be worth the money to upgrade.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We upgraded to the newer series but i know for a fact that I have seen the older style slat side with a cover over it to make it similar to the newer series. Im pretty sure that Stevens harvesting had a machine a couple years ago that had one on it. Im not sure on the difference in air cleaner componets i wish i had taken pictures of the difference when we got the new machines.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
by looking at the parts views, there are a few components needed to make the whole thing work right including some sort of schroud over half the rotary screen which would direct air from only the top, otherwise just the large door mod would not do the job, the fan could still pull air from the landing area below the fuel tank, that dirty air has to be blocked somehow. Ive never seen one up close but have ways to check it out. I have a couple 9600s and a 9650 Id like to do. I think the 50 might have the same exterior door as some of the early STS rigs, maybe the same rotary screen air box too.
ANyone else have info on the ups and downs of this system? Does it work/make a difference?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think if you know someone who can work with sheet metal real well you'd be in business. Make a sheet metal spacer with a foam seal to go between the rotary screen door and the outer door and then a scoop to draw air from above attrached to the outside.

jd

·
Registered
7 Posts
To make it work you'd need H216209 (air scoop), AH220663 (harware), and let's say around $2.5-3000. There is still a limit to which combines this can be done on, depending on serial number.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im sure I can do it for alot less than that. I dont need the STS scoop to have a similar system. I have other parts in mind.
The real question is not how to do it but if there was a real difference in radiator and air filter cleanliness in the different models. I need input from STS guys who actually service their own rigs and have seen how things look after a long run.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I can honestly say after having ran both the "scoop" and "non-scoop" style, the one with the chimney is 100% better. The ones without the scoop needed to be cleaned just about everyday or every other day for sure, with the scoop I would clean mine once a week and it was usually just about right. Just my $.02...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Davedan,
We put the scoop on our 01 9750sts this spring. I was tired of spending so much time blowing out the radiator and aftercooler. While I still blow the radiator and aftercooler daily, there was a big difference in how much dust was stuck in them. My only complaint was that the "hardware" included had to be modified to actually fit our combine, but other than that it was a pretty easy install.
I couldn't tell you about any difference with the air filter since I usually clean them once a week. We run in pretty dusty conditions, but we only run the one combine so we aren't stirring up a bunch of dust.

As for pricing, we paid close to $1500 for the scoop and hardware. After install was probably close to $2000.

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
I've also run both and the difference is dramatic, in our conditions virtually eliminating rad cleaning and cutting air cleaner servicing to 1/3rd of the previous design.

Don

·
Registered
103 Posts
just wondering if anybody has installed the air scoop on a 9860.deere doesn't recommend it because of potential overheating. we have to clean our air filters just about everyday.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
are these conversion really only necessary for you wheat guys? We don't have many soybeans so the "hassle" of cleaning the radiator every couple of days wasn't a big deal with our 9600, does the sts collect more trash though?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts