The Combine Forum banner

STS radiator scoop, snout, intake thing.

9K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  davedan 
#1 ·
At one time on this forum there was talk of the STS machines when they came out with I think 60 series and had a new radiator door that was the new down draft design, instead of louvers on the side. Deere I think came out with a kit for the older machines for those who wanted to add the new radiator air scoop. My question to those who either changed their machine over to the new setup, or had machines side by side in the field with both old and new doors,, How did the new setup work??? My concern is the amount of dust and debris my radiators pass is wearing them out quickly and I have dry climate most of the year so corrosion is not an issue. Im thinking of making changes to help my problem, Also do the air filters stay cleaner longer not sucking so much dirt form the side of the machine?

#3 ·
The air scoop on the side was a huge improvement over the slated side machines. On the wheat harvest run we went from having to blow out are filters every other day to roughly every 100 hours or so. But this is in extremely dusty conditions with multiple machines running so im sure there was more dust in the air than just a machine running alone.

#4 ·
This is exactly the results Im looking for, we are in heavy ultra dry wheat, drought has made terribly dusty roads surrounding the fields too, three machines in one area including cart, trucks in and out all day. We blow the filters out every day, they wont make it much further than that. I have made mods to the air cleaner systems which has helped out quite a bit, I could probably get two days out of them in the wheat now we are in corn and its different conditions.
mocutter did you add the scoop to yours or did you just have the later series machine? If so do you know for sure if deere changed any of the air cleaner component design between the two years to contribute to cleaner system?
Anyone else had the same good luck?

#5 ·
Looked like they added it to earlier STS machines that didn't have it. It would take a lot more changing to put it on a steel sided 9600. Be pretty nice if it could be done though, lots of crap gets pulled in those side slots, especially when the wind is blowing the chaff right back around.

#9 ·
We upgraded to the newer series but i know for a fact that I have seen the older style slat side with a cover over it to make it similar to the newer series. Im pretty sure that Stevens harvesting had a machine a couple years ago that had one on it. Im not sure on the difference in air cleaner componets i wish i had taken pictures of the difference when we got the new machines.

#10 ·
by looking at the parts views, there are a few components needed to make the whole thing work right including some sort of schroud over half the rotary screen which would direct air from only the top, otherwise just the large door mod would not do the job, the fan could still pull air from the landing area below the fuel tank, that dirty air has to be blocked somehow. Ive never seen one up close but have ways to check it out. I have a couple 9600s and a 9650 Id like to do. I think the 50 might have the same exterior door as some of the early STS rigs, maybe the same rotary screen air box too.
ANyone else have info on the ups and downs of this system? Does it work/make a difference?

#13 ·
Im sure I can do it for alot less than that. I dont need the STS scoop to have a similar system. I have other parts in mind.
The real question is not how to do it but if there was a real difference in radiator and air filter cleanliness in the different models. I need input from STS guys who actually service their own rigs and have seen how things look after a long run.

#14 ·
I can honestly say after having ran both the "scoop" and "non-scoop" style, the one with the chimney is 100% better. The ones without the scoop needed to be cleaned just about everyday or every other day for sure, with the scoop I would clean mine once a week and it was usually just about right. Just my $.02...

#15 ·
Davedan,
We put the scoop on our 01 9750sts this spring. I was tired of spending so much time blowing out the radiator and aftercooler. While I still blow the radiator and aftercooler daily, there was a big difference in how much dust was stuck in them. My only complaint was that the "hardware" included had to be modified to actually fit our combine, but other than that it was a pretty easy install.
I couldn't tell you about any difference with the air filter since I usually clean them once a week. We run in pretty dusty conditions, but we only run the one combine so we aren't stirring up a bunch of dust.

As for pricing, we paid close to $1500 for the scoop and hardware. After install was probably close to $2000.

Hope this helps.

#23 ·
The scoop makes a big difference, we've had to jump out 3 different times this year (seems like the stinking wind has something against us for the 2008 season) and clean the rotary screen off on our 9610 in Alfalfa Seed. But we haven't had a problem with the 9660STS and the scoop at all. Alfalfa Seed fines are terrible when the wind decides to wrap em around the end of the combines, the 9610's belt for the rotary screen was a huge improvement over the 9500's clear belt, we really had problems with them, to the point that you'd about have to quit if the wind was blowing the wrong direction.

#24 ·
Look at this, is your combine SN above this.

Solution Number: 71118

Solution Summary: CUSTOMERS WANT TO INSTALL THE ENGINE AIR SCOOP ON OLDER OR 12.5L STS COMBINES -- ( xxxxxx -- 695500 )

Publication Date: Jan 29 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Paper copies of solutions may not be the most current solutions**

Complaint or Symptom :
Customers want to install the engine air scoop on one of the following machine:

1. 50 series combines with Tier 1 engines ( xxxxxx – 695500 )

2. 9860STS, or 9880STS built before 2006 ( xxxxxx - 715000 )

3. 9560STS built before 2007 ( xxxxxx - 720000 )

4. Any straw walker machine

Problem or Situation :
The air scoop was designed only for large frame STS combines with 8.1L Tier 2 engines. The kit was not designed to retro-fit back to machines with Tier 1 engines, earlier 12.5L engines, or the small frame 9560STS because of possible air flow issues associated with those machines' cooling packages. Installing the air scoop on these combines may severely restrict air flow, resulting in engine over heating and a reduction in cooling performance.

Solution :
Installation the air scoop on those machines is not recommended by Harvester Works. Customers should be strongly discouraged from installing the air scoop on:

1. 50 series combines with Tier 1 engines ( xxxxxx – 695500 )

2. 9860STS, or 9880STS built before 2006 ( xxxxxx - 715000 )

3. 9560STS built before 2007 ( xxxxxx - 720000 )

4. Any straw walker machine

Additional Information :
Parts catalog information is unclear as to which parts to order for Tier 2 combines (695501 - xxxxxx). H216209 is ONLY the air scoop. You must also order AH220663 kit which contains the hardware, miscellaneous parts and H222387 instructions for installing the scoop.

Installation time is six hours.

Air scoops are standard on large frame STS combines MY 2006 ( 715001 - xxxxxx ) and on the 9560STS MY 2007 ( xxxxxx - 720001 )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

9760STS, 9660STS, 9860STS, 9560STS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COOLANT, FAN, RADIATOR, AIR, COLD, FLOW, HOT, INTAKE, CONVERSION, MOTOR, PTS, h216209, ah220663, COMB ENG, 5428

#25 ·
Mine is listed in the DO NOT INSTALL section of the solutions, I guess Im going to go out on a limb again despite what deere says will and wont work.
Im actually not wanting to add the STS scoop to my machines but make some for my machines, cooling capacity was my first thought, but the units Im thinking of building will be plenty big enough to not restrict air to the radiator, I always wondered about the OEM scoop, it seemed small and restrictive at first glance, and noticed that there is a shroud at the lower portion covering the rotary screen half, thats restricting Im sure as well, and have already considered that those ideas will not work in my situation.
Thanks for the info guys.
Even with only running one machine in the field we clean every day filters and radiator, It would be great to only have to clean filters every other day or so, big time saver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.