The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Signed the paper work earlier this week for a 9770 STS. I have leased a 9760 STS for the past three years and it has done an okay job. I say okay because while it does a decent job in the sample department, my ole" 8820 and CTS II would out clean it pretty easily. I've gotten the dockage down to .04 % which is about were the elevator starts dinging you. Some of you might say "why worry then." Well I am used to consistently getting my sample down to .02% with relative ease with the 8820 and CTS II. My problem has been with unthreshed kernels in wheat. I can't seem to get aggressive enough. I've done everything that the local dealer has recommended as far as settings go. Is there anything else that can be done. I've heard about aftermarket adjustable precleaners. Would that help? I'm not saying the STS does a poor job. Its just that I think it should be able to do as good as job as the 8820 thats 25 years old.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I won't buy a STS without an adjustable precleaner now... The last few years with lighter yield than we should have we counldn't get the sample clean without them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:I won't buy a STS without an adjustable precleaner now... The last few years with lighter yield than we should have we counldn't get the sample clean without them.

Did the precleaner help in getting rid of the unthreshed kernels? We had a light crop this year too and I was afraid of the job the STS was going to do. It suprised me and I actually got a decent sample out of it. The CTS was still better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes it did.... We had the precleaner closed right up and the middle concave closed in and it was the best sample i've seen out of an STS in a 2 bag/acre crop...
I think you will find it hard to get an STS to give a sample as good as a CTS

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Do you have the decimal in the right place? .04%? I don't think I've had profesionally cleaned seed wheat that clean. And the unthreshed kernals shouldn't be included in dockage, at least in HRW.

What is your specific wheat?

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
Quote: I've gotten the dockage down to .04 % which is about were the elevator starts dinging you. Some of you might say "why worry then." Well I am used to consistently getting my sample down to .02% with relative ease with the 8820 and CTS II.

Either that's the toughest grading elevator on the planet or a 0 fell in your dockage number.

Don

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't notice it until you guys pointed it out but yes its supposed to be .4% not .04. I grow durum, HR winter wheat and spring wheat. Kernels with the hulls still on them is included in the dockage.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Quote:
Quote:I won't buy a STS without an adjustable precleaner now... The last few years with lighter yield than we should have we counldn't get the sample clean without them.

Did the precleaner help in getting rid of the unthreshed kernels? We had a light crop this year too and I was afraid of the job the STS was going to do. It suprised me and I actually got a decent sample out of it. The CTS was still better.

How did the pre-cleaner help in getting rid of unthreshed kernels? The pre-cleaner is not a route to the returns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts