The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, running a pair of 2007 9660 STS machines in Hard red spring wheat. Using Large wire concaves. Just getting too many whitecaps, added and removed blanks. Changed every setting known out there plus talked to neighbors who are also having trouble this year. Had same trouble last year too but thought maybe it was the conditions because of a frost.
Anyway, walker machines look like seed wheat in the tank and STS's look poor. Have been using large wire concaves for the past 5 years as don't have to change them to do peas and have to switch twice per day. Got new set of small wire concaves coming tomorrow to see if that'll help but got rained out now so will be a day or two to find out.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
there is concave covers that can be installed ----they have just been introduced and are specifically designed for the bullet rotor ---are 3 0r 4 piece cover that fits between concave supports and will help remove white caps ------this is coming from a 70 series technical service training

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are these different than the blanks we are using now that are 3 per concave and lock into passenger side then cam over on drivers side.? I have 6 of these and have little success with changing much, usually run all 6 blanks or start removing them as crop conditions improve.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just installed a kit for the top chaffer and precleaner, fingers for the top chaffer and a plate that covers the first 3 sets of louvers on the non adjustable precleaner. took about 4 hours and will do the other combine tomorrow. Also put set of small wires in this combine and will leave large wire in second combine and see if this makes a difference.
The chaffer and precleaner bundle is standard on the 08 models and the deere dealership has 40 boxes of these kits in so something must be up.
later

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I had installed the Deere interruptor bars in the first 15 sections of the front two concaves. Absolutely killed the power. I took the
two concaves out, removed the bars and placed them in the top
section of the concaves and every other section for a total of 13 in each concave. Hope to get back into wheat next week to see what difference this configuration will make.
Also, I have an adjustable pre-cleaner in the 9760STS. I run it
closed in oats, barley and canola and will leave it closed to start with in the wheat. With the increased thresh using the interruptor bars and the closed down pre-cleaner I hope to get a much cleaner sample without using the concave covers and be able to open the clean grain sieve for less return.

·
Registered
378 Posts
We used to run a 9650 STS and also put an adjustable pre-cleaner in it. It made a big difference--cleaner sample, less returns and increased capacity. We ran the pre-cleaner at the same setting as the chaffer. By keeping it closed it does not do anything(although far better than wide open so everything just drops through and overloads the sieve). Opening it some will begin separation that much earlier and take some pressure off a cleaning system which is too small.
We did not run a 60 series STS, maybe they are quite a bit improved over the 50s.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Victory there is not much different in the 50 and 60 series STS combine. Concaves are somehow different but not noticeable.
Michaelshawn I'll get that part number for you Saturday and am interested in how you make out with your modifications. You would have just as much straw as we would so that'll eat up our power as well.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shawn the kit numbers are
Written on box AH 221340
Sratched off of box AH 223140
on instructions H 222089

·
Registered
378 Posts
michaelshawn,
I agree with you about needing some air velocity(pressure) at the pre-cleaner, which a non adjustable pre-cleaner is not capable of. When you said closed, I thought no air would be coming through, therefore my post.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Quote:I had installed the Deere interruptor bars in the first 15 sections of the front two concaves. Absolutely killed the power.

Sorry for being ignorant, but I have never heard of interruptor bars in an STS.
May I have the part number please to look at them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have heard that with some veriaties, it works to wait till 100 days after seeding. We didnt wait to see, and we couldnt get a clean sample either.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll agree that some varieties are harder to thresh but if you have 9610 in the same field as a new STS, I would expect that the STS should have at least close to the same sample. 9610 and 10 year old Massey/Claas conventional looks like seed wheat in the tank.

When I first switched to STS a few years ago they had a great sample, now they don't and I am still using the same wheat variety.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
The segments on an adjustable pre-cleaner are much larger than on the chaffer. With the non-adjustable I fail to see how the air
coming through it has any pressure, volume yes, pressure no. When closed down there is a good wind blast to aid in lifting the
chaff out of the grain as well as stopping the unthreshed material from going directly to the clean grain auger.
Other than the fact that the STS has a hard time getting a good initial thresh in wheat, the largest problem is the one piece chaffer. If we had a chaffer that had the area above the return separately adjustable from the rest we could adjust the main part to ride the unthreshed back to the area above the return which would be open more. This way we could run with the clean grain sieve more open reducing the clean grain in the return.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Because of the weather it's been almost 10 days since we were able to do wheat but today I got a couple hours in with the updated seives and different concaves. The sample has improved greatly even though the wheat has sure bleached. Very few whitecaps in the combine with the small wire concaves. A few more with the large wire but not enough to be complaining. STill would like to do some more adjustments to improve it.
Either the chaffer kit really improved the sample or the weather did. Neighbor who didn't install kit installed it this afternoon as his job still looked like crap.
Wheat was testing 16%, we had 93% humidity and finally got drizzled out 2 hours after we started. It was slow going though.
Had done some dry wheat yesterday and there were still some whitecaps but didn't have time to adjust much before switching over to canola.
Will update when I can.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts