The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my customers bought a 9860 from down south somewhere and it had spreaders. He tried using them for a bit. They did a horrible job, especially with our heavy winter wheat straw. I ordered a complete Redekop unit for him and he didn't even use the machine until the chopper was installed a week later. The field he did with the spreaders had to be burned. With the Redekop he doesn't even have to harrow and the seeding with his disk drill in spring is much easier. So we've got a set of spreaders here, CHEAP.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do you really need a chopper on an STS, or would the spreader be adequate most of the time? 9760 0r 9860 I am sure the spreader would save a lot of power. I will have a 35ft head. I will harvest wheat, soybeans, corn,and milo. Most of what I harvest is conventional tillage. Thanks for your opinions.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Your still gonna have straw that is 12" long coming out the back. I would think you would save more money by chopping it up and not have to til so much in order to break down the straw

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I think the spreaders are ok for the narrower heads (18-21ft) but any wider the residue is not spread the whole width of cut. Tillage does not move straw and chaff very well

1 - 4 of 4 Posts