The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9650 STS with the original smooth threshing elements on the rotor. With 1300 sep. hours, I am thinking of replacing them. Should I replace them with new smooth ones from Deere, or the rasp type element from Loewen? Deere parts told me that the Deere rasp style is only for a bullet rotor and they won't fit on 50 series. I like the idea of the rasp style better and am leaning that way. Any experience with changing out the original smooth style element to new ones? Which ones last longer Deere or Loewen?

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you are going to do alot of small grain, I would consider the rasp bar type from loewen, other wise the deere smooth type will be just fine.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You can use the deere rasp bars on a non bullet rotor. you just get only the back ones. on a bullet rotor the front rows of elements are taller so they won't fit on an older rotor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I simply have a question. Are you changing the elements because you think they are worn out? Or you just want a better thrashing element. The rotor elements will never wear out. I have seen sts combines with 2000 hrs on them and the elements were original. To tell you the truth, the only reason we change elements in our dealership is because they are damaged due to stones or a forign material. The rasp type will give you better thrashing, and the elements from a bullet rotor will fit, if we ever replace a set we always put the rasp type in. Just make sure you order the back set.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thats funny I have seen threshing elements wore at as low as 900 separating hours,just depends where the machines are from and what they have harvested. Typically 1200-1600 hrs they are shot. So YES they do wear out!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 9760 with the smooth elements and am curious about what you mean about installing the rear elements from a bullet rotor in the rear only on a non bullet rotor,there are 15 in my combine do you guys mean use 9 in the rear and let the smooth ones up front,and will these help me thresh tough wheat better.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Only the rear rifled elements will fit on the non bullet rotors. On the bullet rotors the elements that are on the rows other then the back one get taller and will hit the concave if installed on a non bullet rotor. Sounds confusing but I don't know how to say it any different.

You replace all the smooth elements with the rifled ones and it seems to help with feeding the rotor. It feels like you have a bit more power and capacity. Kinda makes sense if you look at how the crop is moved through the rotor. You aren't just depending on the vanes on the top to carry the material to the rear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah so just order 5 sets of rear threshing elements from a bullet rotor and that will replace all of your existing smooth elements.Makes sense I hope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts