The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size STS with 1 36' flex is gonna repalce 2 9600's 30' 630's?

Maintainence on the single STS gonna be similar on a bu' capacity basis vrs. the 2 9600's? ....dealer says similar when looked at in a total bu hvstd manner........vrs as in a yr to yr view......

Is the rock trap on the STS as effective as 9600's.....dealer says it is if dumped several times per day..............

qualified labor getting tight.........or just move toward custom harvesters?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm in southern Alberta and we find that a 9750STS is about 1 1/2 9600's. On a hot windy day when the wheat straw is completely cured it,s more like two 9600;s. In barley it's pretty close to two cause you can stuff it full and the sts can handle the material where the 9600 will have to pace itself to not lose the barley over the walkers. In canola I'd say 50% better than the 9600. Dry peas probably 80%. Also we run a cart with scales so we were continualy checking to see which combine put more grain in the tank and the STS was 99% of the time putting 150 to 200 more pounds in the tank over the same distance going side by side 1 mile. We ran a 9750STS and a 9660Walker , after seeing the comparisons from the grain cart we now have two STS's.

·
Super Moderator
4,419 Posts
Quote: Also we run a cart with scales so we were continualy checking to see which combine put more grain in the tank and the STS was 99% of the time putting 150 to 200 more pounds in the tank over the same distance going side by side 1 mile.
Probably not statistically significant but a trend is a trend nonetheless.
You'd never know that without a scaled grain cart.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
In my experience/conditions a 9860 will not double a 9600 very often, barley and dry dry wheat get pretty close probably still 5-10% short of 2 9600s. Must be some pretty thin conditions if a 9750 is doing the work of two 9600s.

·
Registered
192 Posts
We ran a 9650sts with our 3 9600 for 3 years, and have since updated to 9860sts.I think kris stated it pretty fairly.You would have to have ideal conditions to average 2 for 1 all year.Here in Manitoba this year we were running short on power with 36' with our 9860 premiums.Using 3 9860's compared to 1 9650sts and 3 9600's, we had 360 less combining hours this year.We could probably do with 2 98's, and go a little harder,but if you breakdown with one,things would get pretty slow,in your case nothing

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't have any experience with the sts's but from what I have heard from other harvesters and local farmers 1 9860 sts will come close to doing what 2 9600's will do no quite about like what jdmanitoba said 5-10% short but the key is they were able to eliminate one combine and run a cart all the time so it was a very good choice for them. Also I have talked to a couple other harvesters and they feel a 9760 sts is about like 1 1/2 9600's.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Very key point you mention Wheat Whacker is "run a cart all the time". That will add between 30 and 35% to the productivity of that one combine.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
unless you have a large combine and a really big grain cart.

and a elevator in your back yard.

even then when you get to beans....those 2 combines really shine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a 9860 with a 36ft draper header and two 9600's with 30 ft headers. We weigh all our loads so we have a pretty accurate comparison. We cut only wheat and barley. Some days the 9860 would equal or slightly exceed the production of the 2- 9600's, but on average, I would say its about 5 -10% short as others have said. The big advantage for us is the 9860 does a better job of chopping the straw as we are 100% no-till. All combines have fine cut choppers.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Quote:In my experience/conditions a 9860 will not double a 9600 very often, barley and dry dry wheat get pretty close probably still 5-10% short of 2 9600s. Must be some pretty thin conditions if a 9750 is doing the work of two 9600s.

Also being from Manitoba I have to agree. We seem to have a lot more straw here and that's the limiting factor. It takes a ton of power to push it through. Bullet rotor was a noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We run a 9750 with a bunch of after market updates to it ie. Chip, concave, bars, beater speed up etc. am now very happy with it, local deer dealer could not beleav the diff. bean sampel was so clean could go to seed, whaet was also much better verry litel white caps if anyone is interested in upgrades let me know and i will line you up with the dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would go with one 9860sts. You could run a 9760, but you will definetly need to run a cart to match productivity. The 9860 will still need a cart, but in smaller fields you could run circles around anything.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Don't waste your money on a 9860 sts in small grains. It is between 0 and 5% capacity difference above a 9760 sts. Might be different in corn, but in canola, peas, wheat and barley a 9860 is a joke. I own one.

A 9870 is supposed to have a slightly different cleaning system than a 9770 has and therefore some increase in capacity. If this is true then a 9870 may be worth buying.

The 2 combines versus one debate has a lot to do with how much help you have. If you have lots of help so that there are always 2 people out serviceing first thing in the morning and not 1 person then 2 combines will be fine. I find that I have people running all over different directions in the morning and usually only 1 person is servicing the combines and I am usually a little later getting threshing each day than if I had one large combine.

·
Super Moderator
4,419 Posts
Quote:Don't waste your money on a 9860 sts in small grains. It is between 0 and 5% capacity difference above a 9760 sts. Might be different in corn, but in canola, peas, wheat and barley a 9860 is a joke. I own one.
No change I gather Bud?

Don

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
No change yet Don. Newer tractor and airdrill took all my budget this year. Waiting to see what happens with the lexion thing in Alberta and then will strongly consider a 590 if it looks ok.

I really want to get back to one big combine. Running 2 combines and trucking with only 3 people is not where I want to be. It might be ok with 4 people, but 3 is just not efficient enough.

For everyone following my posts, don't get me wrong. I like my 9860, I just don't think it has much more to offer than a 9760, yet it costs a bunch more. If it was priced 2-3000 more than a 9760 than I would be happy enough with it. My expectations are very high for the 9860 because it costs a lot more than the 9760 does. In dry straw and dry wheat it will do 2 times what a 9600 will do. In tougher straw and wheat (16-17%) then I would be surprised it the 9860 could do any more than 1.3-1.5 times a 9600.

Grain carts only are a help to an operation if you can't unload into a truck on the go. I always unload on the go into semi trailers and have no problems, but my fields are usually hard and dry in the fall.

·
Super Moderator
4,419 Posts
Quote:Waiting to see what happens with the lexion thing in Alberta and then will strongly consider a 590 if it looks ok.
Looking forward to keeping you and all others here apprised.
Good luck on the new seeding unit. Looks like it won't be so wet this year.
In central Alberta that is.

Don

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.