The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How wide is a 70 series STS with duals, either 18.4 or 20.8s?

Will the duals be inside the 615P pickup front? If not, how much outside?

·
Registered
400 Posts
the deere sales manual says that it is just under 17' wide, i found that "transport width" of a 615P is 17.5'

its gonna be close

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which size duals would that be?

We will be picking up bunched 2x 9' ryegrass swaths so it looks like the duals will not drive on the unharvested swaths next to the combine.

·
Super Moderator
4,387 Posts
With the width of the swaths I doubt that would work or it would be very tight.
Even a single windrow width would 3' wouldn't it?

Don

·
Registered
400 Posts
the same dimension was given for the 18.4 and the 20.8
it will be very similar, unless you get into the new 650's, which are even wider

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
If the inside runs at 120" to center, the duals would be 180" center plus tire width, so width would be pushing 17' to the outside of the tires.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 9 foot cut by a disc mower has 2 cones and swath wheels to bring the swaths into on average 5.75 feet.

Therefore the swaths either side of the 2 the combine are picking up, are slightly further away from the 18 feet cut. There is probably 19 feet of clear ground without running over other swaths.

So the duals should be ok. What do you think?

·
Registered
400 Posts
its still gonna be real tight, only 12" clearance max on each side.

don't spend too long digging in the lunch box, cause it wouldn't take long at all to get that far off.

i guess the obvious question is, why duals?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I guess it will be tight especially when opening up a new land with swaths both sides. But should be easier when the block has been opened up, with only one swath close to one side.

We need to pickup 2 swaths with the 615P so if the duals are inside the transport width of the 615 then duals should be no more problem than the pickup header running on other swaths?

Looking to go for duals for stability and less compaction mainly when we are harvesting heavy irrigated wheat with the heavy 936D.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has been considered but still is a future purchase. Certainly would minimise mistakes. But at present we will have to make do and concentrate.

There must be a few good pictures (especially a front view) out there with the 615P on an STS with duals, that would be great to see....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts