The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have a 4840 massey Ferguson tractor which has blown the oil seal on the LH rear halfshaft. I tried to get the wheel off today to start the repair job but can't get it to budge off the taper.
I have removed the four bolts holding the wheel onto the hub and tightened two of the bolts into the removal holes but the wheel won't pop off the tapered hub.
What can i try next ?
How tight do i dare tighten these two bolts without possibly stripping the threads in the wheel centre ?
Any advice appreciated thank you.
David.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Duals or no duals, can or are u using a large impact, use heat on wheel cast, is this the outer wheel seal? had a 4840 MF outer seal was triple lip grease seal converted to oil removed inner oil seal let oil move freely in housing, had lots of trouble with grease wheel brg. we would remove cone with wheels all together front end loader works

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Success !
Drove around in circles for a few minutes then managed to get half a turn on the 2 bolts, drove her back in the shed then got more turns on the bolts until the wheel was off.
There is a few mm of lift at the end of the axle now that the wheel is off so i guess the bearing is gone as you say Onion Farmer.
Thank you for the replies.
I will update you on my progress.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Make sure the bearings are set up like the book. Every year I jack up the tractor and check the axels no more than 20 thousands movement. Put the dial indicator as close to the housing as you can . Check it a few times to make sure you have a good reading.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Next time you have to remove a tapered hub/wheel loosen the 4 bolts & screw the two wedge bolts in to apply pressure & hit the end of the axle with a sledge hammer three or four times & retighten the bolts & repeat until off. When reinstalling wheel do this in reverse as it will help with seating the wedge. P.S. It works the best to have the keyway in the hub/wheel in the 12 o'clock position. Also make sure the axle key is behind or pushing the wedge keyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.