The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone know the typical operating temperatures for the transmission and hydraulic oils on Case STX 4wds. Ours is a 450 Quadtrac and we got a high temp alarm pulling the air seeder. Probing around with a temp gun everything seems to be at 160-180 F which doesn't seem unreasonable. We had an unfortunate issue boosting the battery in the winter and wrecked some electronics so I don't really trust the alarm considering this was the first time we used the tractor after that (and never had a problem before).Cooler is clean, engine is not heating, and oil temp sensors test good. Anyone know what is a normal temp or where the alarm is supposed to come on?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don’t know what the temps run on the stx series. Have a 550 and the temps read on the corner post are generally 145 F during seeding for both trans and hydraulic.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Stx 450 here runs 160-175F pulling drill based on corner post readouts, haven't used temp gun to check. No alarms. Trans and hydraulics usually 5F of each other.
Have a Case Mxm pulling sprayer that runs 185-195F consistently when checking scv block with temp gun that concerns me. 175F is no concern.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep the sensors check out good according to that. I've also swapped a sensor from our other 4wd and we still get the fault. The service manual states the fault occurs at 4.85 volts, but I wish it equated that to a temperature.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Does the temperature on the A post read ambient temp before you start it up in the morning? What temp is it reading when the alarm sounds? Is the temperature increase while operating smooth or does it jump, say smooth up to 125 then jumps to 200? Or do you not have a readout?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Starts out within a few degrees of ambient and rises steadily over a couple hours. My best guess it the alarm goes off when the A post reads in the low 170's, you lose the ability to see the temp once you get the fault. Temp gun readings at that time seem to agree - in the 170-180 range. So the readout seems accurate but I'm unsure if the fault is occurring at the correct temp.

·
Registered
160 Posts
No that is way too low for the alarm, on the newer stiegers I believe it occurs at 240 I think the STX’s are close if not the same. I use to pull a 70ft seed master with two case carts behind a 500 quad and during ww seeding would see hydraulic temps up to 215. What all was replaced after the voltage spike?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks that definitely makes me feel a bit better. Do you know how high the trans was getting on that 500? So far the only thing we've actually replaced is the arm rest controller. I think my next move will be to put some race car oil temp gauges in so I can keep an eye on things.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We have had 2 tractors that have done this, one 550 and a 485. What ours turned out to be was there is a seal in the diff that is leaking and the park brakes start to drag causing the heat. Not a cheap fix.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If the other 4-wheel drive is close to the same year you could switch the a post monitors and see if the issue follows the monitor or the tractor. Are there any codes? You can check by holding the diag key or wrench key then using the arrows to choose which controller then the program key is enter to select the controller. You should then be able to check the faults one through ten cycling through with the arrows. There have been a few issues like dazed had but you should see the temp rise all of the way up then the alarm go off and typically have noticed a More prominent drag while pushing in the clutch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it throws 13022 and will not allow you to keep running the tractor. If you unplug the sensor you get a signal low code but at least you can run. I agree the issue in likely in the instrumentation controller. The other tractor doesn't have the performance monitor so I'm not sure if I can make the swap.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That code is Transmission Oil Temperature sensor voltage too high indicating there is a short to high source somewhere. I will have to look up the schematic but you have a short somewhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there a different code/alarm for the oil temperature itself? It must not be a dead short, maybe just getting some extra voltage, since the temperature rises over a couple hours before the fault occurs. I will check out what wiring I can though.

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
I assume you have checked the rad for chaff build up between the rad layers. Our temperature started going up two days ago in my STX 500. When I opened up the hood 3/4 of the rad was plugged with wheat leaves and chaffy crap between one of the layers.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Can't open that pdf schematic Dialed In posted so speculating on if the monitor could need reprogramming. The sensor is a variable resistor that gets lower in resistance as temp goes up so that is why it says signal too high - the resistance of sensor is lower so less voltage drop across sensor and therefore higher voltage applied to the controller/monitor input terminals. A short from high (5v supplied) to the monitor input would do that too. But since it happens to take hours for this possible short to occur I do question if that is the likely problem. Shorts tend to be quite erratic and so expect a high temp alarm at anytime, not hours later that appear to coincide with warmed up fluid.

So, wondering if the set points are programmable in the monitor and yours has defaulted to a low setting. Let's say it is normally programmed for 220f but your electrical fault somehow wiped the programmed setting and is now at a factory default of say 180f.

Just a thought. It seems like it is leaning to the monitor/controller being the problem so perhaps a reprogramming is possible rather than out right replacement. Don't know if that is a possibility.

·
Registered
160 Posts
For whatever reason the pdf’s won’t open on my iPhone either need a computer. You are on the right track Ken, there are a few voltage and resistance tests then the manual states to replace the controller Which would be the A post. I guess I would follow the manual and check all the resistances again through the wiring harness then since you do have another similar tractor I would still switch the a post with the other. Even though one is not a performance monitor as long as the software is close in age they should talk and the none performance monitor should still have dummy gauges. That way if the issue follows the monitor to the other tractor you could have the tech bring out a new monitor and save the time it would take him to diagnose it. There is a chance it won’t work but there is not much to lose. If it does not work I would try what Ken states have have a tech come out and try to reprogram the a post before replacement. I would think your dealership would not have a problem ordering a monitor and brining it out with them even if they don’t use it so there is only one trip. If they don’t use it they can just send it back to case. 9 times out of 10 times it’s a wiring issue however knowing you had a voltage spike and armrest controller go bad I would lean a little more toward the controller, good luck. I did look up the alarm temp for these tractors and it is 225 and can not be reset that is not to say that it has not been corrupted though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts