The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Do you have a dryer and do you have heavy land/often wet?

If the answers are no-no then sunflowers, yes-yes corn, yes-no corn, no-yes then go directly to plan B. If you like the tires on your equipment go directly to plan B...lol

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a dryer and do you have heavy land/often wet?

If the answers are no-no then sunflowers, yes-yes corn, yes-no corn, no-yes then go directly to plan B. If you like the tires on your equipment go directly to plan B...lol
Sooo yes I have Heavy land and more times than not is wet. Have the infrastructure to Handel big bushels but no dryer. I like my tiers to be in decent shape. So your saying I should seed sunflowers. Lol. For planing purposes. To get corn custom dried down let’s say 10 points what would it cost per bushel?

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Sooo yes I have Heavy land and more times than not is wet. Have the infrastructure to Handel big bushels but no dryer. I like my tiers to be in decent shape. So your saying I should seed sunflowers. Lol. For planing purposes. To get corn custom dried down let’s say 10 points what would it cost per bushel?
Sunflowers don't really like wet feet and actually do better on lighter land. The tire thing was kind of a joke but both crops are harder on tires than other crops. I wouldn't get seriously into corn without a dryer of my own (which is handy for all crops). Corn has some big upside so that is what I would advise for you.... after you address the dryer issue.

·
Registered
179 Posts
seed a little of both and see what one you like to raise.. one thing about sunflowers, no matter what you are doing with them you can haul a**.. only bad part of that plan would be rounding up the headers come harvest to use to make your decision

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sunflowers are easier to try. If you have a lot of potholes and cattails make sure you seed big fields. the birds are going to take their share of the yield, but have found that if you plant 300+ acres at a time losses are more manageable. I grow both and have found that the flowers consistently pencil out whereas corn is hit or miss.

Another factor for next year is that there will be a surplus of feed wheat due to poor weather which in turn drives down the local corn prices (feedlot/ethanol plants). I grow corn without a dryer which means that I have to wait until the corn dries naturally to 19% or less so I can freeze it down and not worry about the bin heating. I haven't had a problem yet with the 77-79 day maturity corn that I've been growing, but it has only been 5 years of experience.

Headers and planters.... If you have specific questions i'll answer the best I can. I could ramble for days on those topics.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks 8850 champ. Here a question. Would you use a 40’ draper head for the first years or so to harvest corn? What’s you yields like with 77-79 corn?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've used my MacDon to harvest corn, the bad thing is those Flexifinger pans are just as much as a cheap half pounded out corn head. If you don't have those pan you will have a lot of comb loss. Last time I tried that I lost at lest 10 bushel per acre just from cobs dropping off. I could still roll along around 4 mph with my 8010 and a 40ft header. that was in 150 bushel corn. Sure is nice for baling stover

If you try putting corn in with an air seeder first year just to try, I would try to get a set of pan.. We use to do that before I bought a planter, plug every other run and just used a 30ft auger head with sunflower pans

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've used my MacDon to harvest corn, the bad thing is those Flexifinger pans are just as much as a cheap half pounded out corn head. If you don't have those pan you will have a lot of comb loss. Last time I tried that I lost at lest 10 bushel per acre just from cobs dropping off. I could still roll along around 4 mph with my 8010 and a 40ft header. that was in 150 bushel corn. Sure is nice for baling stover

If you try putting corn in with an air seeder first year just to try, I would try to get a set of pan.. We use to do that before I bought a planter, plug every other run and just used a 30ft auger head with sunflower pans
So how low do you cut? I’m assuming just under the cob. Might be easier on the tiers.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thanks 8850 champ. Here a question. Would you use a 40’ draper head for the first years or so to harvest corn? What’s you yields like with 77-79 corn?
I you were to only have a test field your first year it would be okay, but you'll lose some cobs on the ground. I fertilize for 100 bu corn, but I'm specifically trying to make it work with a lower input strategy. In a drought year I had a 65-70 bushel yield. Last years was 93, but In a good year 140 is probably the top end for my area with the current varieties. This year looks to be in that 110-120 area if the cob counts are anywhere near accurate. Probably would've been more, but it didn't quite make black layer (full maturity) so i'll lose some test weight/yield.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts