The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What to do to get sunflowers off? Signed a sunflower contract but need answers on harvest. We have a cornhead but a lot of people say not to use it. Even if I slow it down lots. Does that mean I have to buy ANOTHER head for the combine (already have corn/straight cut/pick up/edible bean pickup) or can I modify the grain header for sunflowers?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Yeah, I would be leery of those attachments that let you cut flowers with a corn head. The conversion kit involves replacing one (or both, can't remember) deck plates with a special one that guides the stalks into a stationary knife. I've never seen one in action, but I can imagine it causes a lot of shatter, especially in very dry conditions.

It's possible to use an unmodified small grain platform, but I personally wouldn't recommend it unless you only had a few acres. I think an auger header would work better than a draper, but there are guys on the forums who say their drapers work fine. There are companies that make sunflower pans which would help a lot, but I don't know much about them. I'm sure someone else has more experience with pans.

I think a dedicated row-crop head would be the best option, but we also harvest milo with ours and we're increasing our sunflower acres. Off the top of my head I can think of Deere 53 or 53A series headers (used only), Sunmaster, Gerringhoff, and Harvestec. In the Headers forum there's a fairly recent topic about row-crop heads, by now it'll probably be on the second or third page. Some good information there, as I recall.

There are also several discussions here about setting the combine which you may find useful. Look back to October or November to find them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you need a head I have 2 810 24' headers with 12 and 27 inch intersteel pans and reel I would like to git rid of at a good price

1 - 3 of 3 Posts