The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have never raised sunflowers before. Only wheat. We are looking for advise on how to set up a Case 8010 combine for harvesting them. Rotor speed, fan speed, concave setting and upper and lower shoe settings. If you can help, please let me know.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I asked a buddy of mine and this is what he told me. You might have to do some fiddling with the type of concaves (blank out strips or something). But try these settings first. His flowers are a little thicker in ND than where you are out in Ione/Helix so maybe the concave settings are a little loose if its open too much the stocks will wrap. He runs the rotor 280-300 wind around 600-650 top sieve 18 and bottom 11 and concave 10 -12. He says blow off the combine daily as the dust is like gunpowder.

Tell Keith I said hello and good luck.

Andy J

·
Registered
61 Posts
Coming from the John Deere side of things here but the principles should apply. Sunflower heads breakup very easily when dry which creates shoe load problems. So slow everything, tighter spaced concaves (depending on type of sunflower being grown) and try to load the shoe evenly. Our STSs don't excel at flowers that's the main reason we keep a walker machine around.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
How have you ever grown only wheat? Wheat fallow rotation?

Set it for peas but with the wind for flax. At least that works well for a Glimmer R.

·
Registered
906 Posts
On our 2388 we used to cover up 2 of the seperating grates. Ran a small wire up front and 2 large wire concaves in the back. Blow it off daily and if lots of dust keep an eye on exhaust manifold buildup. Chopper on low and retract the knives.

On our CR9070 we run the rotor almost as slow as it will go.

Check the ground behind the combine and adjust wind accordingly. You'll see some on the ground but most of the time they are empty/light seeds.

Dont be afraid of a little trash in the sample. We run close to 4% dockage.

·
Registered
198 Posts
When I did flowers with my 8010, I just used the large wire concaves, the standard grates, and just selected Sunflowers on the ACS system and ran with it.. Make sure to put the chopper in low, and I also hung 2 log chains off the steps that you stand on to change concaves.. Some say they don't help, well I've never had a fire yet dragging chains

1 - 6 of 6 Posts