The Combine Forum banner

sunny brook cyl bars

8K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  davedan 
#1 ·
i talked to a fellow today that told me he had the cylinder bars in his 9610 with a sunny brook high inertia cylinder in it replaced, and it cost $3000 to have a dealer do this. is this right??? if so, at one time i was considering getting one , but am not now.

#2 ·
I know the Sunny bars are quite expensive and this one of the reasons that I am switching over to selling PF parts cylinders. Initial cost is similar to a Sunny but replacement bars are roughly half the price. I ordered 6 cylinders last week from PF, most are sold. We'll see how they work next harvest.

#7 ·
I must say that they do not last virtually forever. I got two seasons out of a set of boronized bars in my 9650 Walker. After reading up on the boronizing technology I knew it would be better material than just chrome bars that we wear out every 600 hrs. Yes the boronizing is thicker than chrome plating but the substrate is mild steel and once you wear the boronizing off its all down hill. The bars can be turned over, or reversed for another season of wear, similar to a gleaner bar design which is how I got two seasons out of them. If your in dirty conditions or cut low to the ground alot they will wear even faster. Ive recently had ST. Johns welding rebuild my sunny bars with hardfacing so we will see how they last. I thought about hardfacing OEM deere bars but I dont think they will make it two full seasons and I dont have time to replace bars in the middle of harvest. Sunny does have gleaner type boronized bars for OEM cylinders too, but they are not cheap.

#9 ·
Wheat, barley, a little safflower, little hay sead, little corn. Mostly wheat, heavy wheat, around 110-130 bu/acre. Again, chrome deere bars only last one season. Here is a set after wheat before all other crops, chrome is gone bar is 50% or less. After corn they are smoothe

#12 ·
Wow that's not alot of acres. You must be in really sandy conditions. I've got customers with 10,000 plus acres on chrome bars and they look way better than yours.

I sold 6 PF Parts high inertia cylinders so far this winter. I like the bar design on them. Overall I think the cylinder is superior to a Sunny. I'll post results when they hit the field in august.

#15 ·
How is it Pf cylinders are superior to sunny they look very similar, sunny has boronized bars, pf look to be hardened bars, need to be chromed atleast.
I noticed that PF cylinders bars are not reversable, sunnys are, you wear out one leading edge you turn the bars around and start over again, PF with the flat plate on the leading edge cant be reversed around by the looks on the web documents.

#16 ·
PF has a larger wear area. The rasps are thicker and longer. It seems to me they're going after more of an sts-style threshing element. The threshing load will be spread over a larger area. On a Sunny bar it's kinda concentrated on the pointed tip of the bar.

If you're talking yield then your corn must be wearing your bars out because I guarantee you we put more tons of Mog through our combines than anywhere else in North America. No one has straw like the Red River valley in Manitoba.

#18 ·
We actually dont do much corn. Greentech Id like to see a PF bar next to a sunny, I cant see what you are describing about larger wear area, sunny bars are not pointed and have flat wear areas on each side depending on which way you have them turned around. There is a limit to how much of a flat area you can have facing a round concave anyway.
Its not hard to see the difference in design and how the bars on the PF are not near as aggressive as sunnys gleaner style bars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.