The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across an old thread that was discussing narrow vs wide rasp bars in the threshing end of sb Gen 2 rotor, or even alternating them. Has anyone tried this? Or had experience with the narrow bars? I've got wide bars, and have to run 5 rows of fillers plus very narrow clearance for good threshing in wheat and flax. The biggest frustration is getting a mix of unthreshed head tips and cracked kernels. I know the cracking comes from high rotor speed, so hoping I can run the rotor slower if the narrow rasps do a better threshing job. The cracking/whitecaps mix seems to be the worst when pushing the stripper header, much less so when straight cutting. That makes sense to me since virtually all the threshing happens at the concave when cutting, whereas a lot of threshing happens at the header when stripping and therefore the cylinder is hitting a lot of loose kernels Would go straight to narrow bars if those were the only crops we had, but concerned that won't work the best in barley peas and canola. Going to pull the rotor to put sweeps in row B (currently have them in row A only) so now would be the time to install the different rasp bars. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,092 Posts
I used PFP bars over concave on my gen 11 rotor and also had SunnyBrook sweeps on both rows over separator side. It worked good for stripping flax and wheat. I had high wire concave with 4 fillers and separator grate wires we're built up flush with grate.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My sep grate is low wire, with every other wire removed. Every thread I've ever seen about flowing straw suggests using high wire or building up the wires as you've done Snipe. Can someone explain why this is the recommendation? I was always under the impression that low wire was preferred for small grains.

To install PFP bars requires a fairly major reworking of the rotor doesn't it? Your rotor now has 4 rows at the threshing end?

·
Premium Member
4,092 Posts
My sep grate is low wire, with every other wire removed. Every thread I've ever seen about flowing straw suggests using high wire or building up the wires as you've done Snipe. Can someone explain why this is the recommendation? I was always under the impression that low wire was preferred for small grains.

To install PFP bars requires a fairly major reworking of the rotor doesn't it? Your rotor now has 4 rows at the threshing end?
I think high wire is used to keep straw sliding and to prevent straw from rolling and it should also prevent over thrashing. PFP bars will bolt onto Gen 2 SunnyBrook no modifications needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.