The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
S.B. impeller reviews.

Are they worth it?
Dont get bent, no vibration, dont plug, etc?
Can you run at 300 rpm with no worries?

I understand they have some "v" splitters in the middle that are sharp. Do they stay sharp?

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
dont plug,
Ha ha ha ha, that's a good one! Anything can plug but I know a guy with one sunnybrook and one stock and does edible beans, he said it made a very positive improvement. I thought I heard they were 3X the weight of stock? I think I will get one in my next machine instead of the knife kit, or maybe put one in my current machine. We were doing soybean seed production this year again at 250 rpm on the cylinder and 7mm concave, worked great but the bean stems were dry. I think if those were green stem beans I would have needed that impeller!

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
The heavy wall staggered paddle design that will not dent and has inertia is a strong point. The knife in the middle that rotates is great but only time will tell how long it will last or keep cutting for. I would still put in a knife kit in the dogs tongue between the two rotors. If you are changing it out I would definitely go with a Sunnybrook impeller. In green stem beans last year it made a big difference compared to the factory impeller for us.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Fundamentally, a stock impeller is 6 bats on each side of center, an SB is 3 staggered sets of 4 so 12 bats each side.
That alone would make it less likely to plug on a wad.
Also would make it harder on straw (a good thing in my book).
Would it deliver straw to rotors any differently? Don’t know nor do I know if that would make any difference.
It is considerably heavier.
The slower the cylinder speed required the more advantage SB would be.
It’s more rugged due to it’s heft
Borinized bolt on wear edges

If replacing for whatever reason a better pick than stock.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
No review per say, but did install one of the SB impellers last week. Pretty solid unit if you ask me.

I had two years of good service out of the stock impeller with the knife kit and serrated edges. 600 hours on it and edges are still in nice shape!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Swman did you weld up a bigger v at the back of the cylinder in the last picture or is that the stock one?
No that is stock, or maybe it belongs to the SB Concave...not sure?

Combine has SB APS caps, cylinder, concave and now impeller. It has been lights-out impressive thus far, especially with high speed rotors. I just hate the once per year impeller plug and hopefully this heavier impeller solves that. I suppose I could maybe not combine 40' of kochia at 2AM...:eek:

I was just surprised at how minty things looked inside there, especially since nearly a million bushels already. Concave bars barely look used!

Combine passed inspection with flying colors from what I hear, couple minor things and basically oil and filters again. Pretty obvious after working on the machine a bit taking the impeller out that there is a lot of engineering and quality built into this machine. :smile:

·
Registered
700 Posts
S.B. impeller reviews.

Are they worth it?
Dont get bent, no vibration, dont plug, etc?
Can you run at 300 rpm with no worries?

I understand they have some "v" splitters in the middle that are sharp. Do they stay sharp?
After running the SB impeller for 500hrs, I am thinking that the SB Impeller is worth every penny.
In conjunction with the SB cylinder the machine runs very smoothly, no vibration at this stage or plugs that possibly has a lot to do with the automatic shutdown that the Lexion has now as we were running the cylinder speed as low as 200rpm in mungbeans with none of the slugging noises. Not sure about the staying sharp I haven’t looked but I will once we are finished harvest

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
I think the welded assembly ones are long gone.
That serrated flange lock bolt is not metric, I lost that discussion with Dale, availability won out, lol. Ended up being one of the last discussions we had.:frown:

I picked up some super dry peas last fall and was able to engine power limit at 250 cylinder rpm/10 mm.. I doubt you can do that at 400 rpm with stock caps. You WILL plug the feeder, APS or both with high feed rates with stock caps in peas.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Dale not working there anymore at all or worse?
As worse as it gets.

https://www.womboldfuneralhomes.com/notices/Dale-Mackenzie

A lot of concern about the integrity of the cast cap, Dale assured me in bronized form it should act very similar to the welded assembly, which was extremely labor intensive to build.

Not sure SB has done another run but there are about 150 sets out so far based on average narrow/wide body units, 56/63.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts