The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that a Sunnybrook Gen 2 cylinder does not work well in corn. The bars are supposedly too aggressive and crack the kernels easily and create a lot of fines. I sold and installed several Sunnys last year but none of which are used in corn. One customer did mention that you really had to be careful in soybeans to not crack them. His stock bars were not like that.

I now sell the PF cylinders and had a customer use one this week to finish up some of last years corn. The sample and threshing was excellent.

Davedan, I know you run one. Do you have this problem in corn?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The corn was quite dry around here. It sure went through a lot better than anything last fall. I'm sure many guys would've waited until spring to do their corn if they knew it would be so easy. Most struggled to thash it at over 30% moisture in fall with snow on the plant and temperature near freezing or just under. It just stuck to EVERYTHING in the combine. One guy actually sprayed his chaffer with PAM cooking spray every couple hours to prevent buildup.

mbfarmer, where are you located?

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Mostly just west of Wawanesa and east of Souris. We got all our corn off last year by the 26th of Nov. It was a struggle. We actually had a few more heat units than the valley last year and our corn averaged around 28%. Some varieties still came off at 35%. The combine seemed to work okay as long as it wasn't around zero. Warmer and the snow melted off the shoe and colder it wouldn't stick. Some nights we started at around ten and went to 3 or 4 so the snow wouldn't stick. We found we had a lot more cracking when it got below zero. Only got one field worked last fall so there was a lot of burning this spring, still have one more field to burn tommorow if it doesn't rain again tonight. Atleast the yields were good so it made it all worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts