The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some testing of the new Sunnybrook concaves for CR's in rice this season. Mine is a CR8090 with twin pitch rotors & adjustable top covers.

The primary reason for looking for another concave is that the OEM is a reasonably good all round concave but I feel it could be better. Spitfire wheat (very hard to thrash) & the hair pinning problems of the OEM concaves in rice made the "fix" just that much more important to find.
I started the Sunnys off with what they thought would be OK (for rice) which is max thrash, then round bar, then the newer max round. You'll see in the pics what that looks like.
I left every other setting in the machine the same as running the OEM concaves.

Well the max thrash certainly lives up to it's name. I had to take them out as they are way too aggressive for rice. They would de-hull the rice - which is not desirable.
I can see huge potential for max thrash in cereals, canola etc as it will get threshed - no doubt about that. There is also another side benefit of the max thrash. You can put the left hand side max thrash in the right hand side concave if you just want to run the material through without turning it to powder. I would think this setup could possibly be used in the last segment (third) of the CR concave to greatly reduce sieve loading in canola. Some of you northern hemisphere guys could try it this coming harvest & let us know?

Back to the rice. I changed out the max thrash & put in round bars. I opened the concave about 3mm & backed the rotor off 30rpm -everything else stayed the same. Sample is as clean as a whistle. Noticeably using less HP. Overall, I am pleasantly pleased with the result so far.
The addition of the max round tri-frame at the rear of the concave is a big advantage. I would step out on a limb & say you could run all max round in rice, beans, corn etc & do a fantastic job. Once again you northern guys could try them in cereals. You may need one row of max thrash then all max round after that.

These concaves are going to be really tested out in the next month as we've had a far bit of rain on the rice with some of it flat, wet & mud underneath. It doesn't get much worse.

I'll post some pics of the "fun" we're likely to have.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many different segment options do they offer?
Basically three, but that could change depending upon evaluation & specific uses. There is much merit in each design & this is one of the beauties of the system - change when required. That doesn't mean every crop you would change some sections - but you could if your so desired. I feel that for cereals & canola, max thrash & max round would work very well.
It won't be long before enough users will tell people what works best - in what crops - under what conditions.
Sunnybrook really had their head screwed on when working these out. They work very well.

Oh by the way - I'm not on Sunnys payroll. Only the payroll from our business, which can be light on some times.

·
Super Moderator
3,832 Posts
Na nah na na nah.;)
I saw this before you did!:)

The Sunnybrook people are pretty creative when it comes to concave and cylinder ideas.
Going up today to pickup they're Claas crop splitting cylinder as well as a concave that they applied an idea to to help thresh when using a stripper header.
Nice people to work with.:)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Any idea how much the frame weighs? How easy is it to change out segments while frame is in the combine? Does the extension have to come off to change segments in the main frame? Lots of questions, am interested to see how it works in hard thresh wheat.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Frame is 65 lbs. Sub Frames (3) are 20-25 lbs ea depending on inserts. Rod is 6'3" tall and said he would have better off at 3'6" to change sub frames in the combine. We will review and improve. Extension should not have to come out to change a sub frame.

NH dealership feedback from Service has been positive.

Pic is an earlier one fwd to us from Rod

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Na nah na na nah.;)
I saw this before you did!:)

The Sunnybrook people are pretty creative when it comes to concave and cylinder ideas.
Going up today to pickup they're Claas crop splitting cylinder as well as a concave that they applied an idea to to help thresh when using a stripper header.
Nice people to work with.:)
Certainly have their head screwed on when designing these concaves & very complimentary to work with.
When you get your bits to make "lime green" work better, could you post the pics & I'm sure you can post some reports when harvesting? Most informative your reports.
A friend of mine has a 770 & is looking for a better concave.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any idea how much the frame weighs? How easy is it to change out segments while frame is in the combine? Does the extension have to come off to change segments in the main frame? Lots of questions, am interested to see how it works in hard thresh wheat.
Extension wouldn't have to come off but it's a very easy job to get them out. 2 minutes & they're out. It would give you more of a clear eyesight area to work in.
I very much doubt whether you would have trouble thrashing the hardest of wheats with the max thrash.
We have a variety of wheat called Spitfire & you need a 9" angle grinder to thrash the last bits of it out. Max thrash - even two rows if required - would clean it out.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Rod how is your power?
Not many happy rice cockies in town yesterday
OK at this stage of the game although could use another 100 in this mud.
I have a feeling I know what the problem(s) are caused by. Poor earth & or, poor power connections - somewhere. A lot of the important terminals are just crimped & not soldered. Some don't have a very good connection especially when it gets hot. They're not loose but not what you call - tight either.

Rain at rice time is a small price to pay for the ultimate longevity of my business. :)

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the opportunity to test & run something that is new & is a real improvement in concave design, which in turn enhances overall machine efficiency, grain quality & the added flexibility of matching components to suit the crop(s) or condition(s) as & when the case requires.

For those of you that know about harvesting rice in flat, wet conditions, picking up mud is part & parcel of the tough business. As you would imagine, combines - especially their concaves - don't like mud at all.
Whilst you may shudder at the site of one of the pics, it does tell a very big & positive story about the Sunnybrooks.
The Sunny always ran clean with no plugging or hair-pinning whilst the OEM concaves have plenty of troubles. Have a look at the separation grate & see how blocked it is compared to the Sunny concave.

These Sunnybrook concaves are a real step forward. There is some "max-rounds" in the main part of the concaves & they are something people should take particular notice of.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, town.
Hamlet.
Ok, a few people live there.;)
But good ones!:)
So the traffic light replacement team is usually not that busy in town :D

I bet there's a good story - could well be a logical one - that explains how the naming of "Sunnybrook" came to be.

Would it be something along the lines of: Grizzly Adams type character woke up one morning after tramping through miles of snow, fighting grizzlies every other mile, pulling arrows out of every spot in his body - right next to a little creek with the morning sun just glistening off the water & he thought: "this is a nice place - I'll call it ........ Sunnybrook" ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any North American experience with these in Wheat or Canola yet? just installed new Tri Frames on 9070 today, fitment seems perfect, no issue with clearence or level. Set up for Wheat right now with 2 Max Thresh in front & one round bar, still with NH factory extensions, which Sunnybrook recommended to stay with for the time being. I am thinking I will have to pull wires on the extensions when it comes to the Faba Beans. Any info, insight, and pointers would be great, looking forward to giving these a go!

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...... Set up for Wheat right now with 2 Max Thresh in front & one round bar, still with NH factory extensions, which Sunnybrook recommended to stay with for the time being. I am thinking I will have to pull wires on the extensions when it comes to the Faba Beans. Any info, insight, and pointers would be great, looking forward to giving these a go!
You should have no problem at all in thrashing with two max thrash installed. The "Round bar" you have - is that "max round" - which are on an angle ie. helical, or just normal round?
I would think you would have to take out one set of max thrash when doing fabas as it could be too aggressive - but try it & see what it does. You also have the ability in a CR, to swap RH side max thrash to LH side if you need to reduce the thrashing affect in faba, peas etc.
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You should have no problem at all in thrashing with two max thrash installed. The "Round bar" you have - is that "max round" - which are on an angle ie. helical, or just normal round?
I would think you would have to take out one set of max thrash when doing fabas as it could be too aggressive - but try it & see what it does. You also have the ability in a CR, to swap RH side max thrash to LH side if you need to reduce the thrashing affect in faba, peas etc.
Let us know how it goes.
Ya, the angled, I cant remember the names of the inserts lol. We have another insert for Canola and large seed crops that will just be swapped out in the center frame, will be trying the LH/RH swap in Canola and Beans, we are doing flax & feed barley as well, so ill be playing around there too, both of which shouldnt need too agressive of a set up

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, you have "max-round" (on an angle) & "round" (square holes with round bar on top). Plenty of options to chose from.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts