The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got a R72 out of Iowa (all corn and beans) and started running it here in wheat. It has a gen 2 sunnybrook rotor and PFP concave, both in near new condition. First off, we had more rotor loss than we like in wheat (current config is .25-.5 bu/acre and we can get our standard machines to run with negligible loss) so we are picking up some reverse bars for the rotor which is all forward bars right now. I think we should have the loss problem solved with those reverse bars. I know we don't have a huge loss problem with it right now but we can give up a little capacity to save that .25-.5 bu/acre in my opinion.

The second problem I have no idea for what to do. We are getting a lot of straw buildup on top of the cage on the thresher side. We're running the rotor as fast as it will go (1100 +) and have the concave set as tight as it can be without hitting as we do with our other combines in wheat. Does anybody have any suggestions?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,091 Posts
We just got a R72 out of Iowa (all corn and beans) and started running it here in wheat. It has a gen 2 sunnybrook rotor and PFP concave, both in near new condition. First off, we had more rotor loss than we like in wheat (current config is .25-.5 bu/acre and we can get our standard machines to run with negligible loss) so we are picking up some reverse bars for the rotor which is all forward bars right now. I think we should have the loss problem solved with those reverse bars. I know we don't have a huge loss problem with it right now but we can give up a little capacity to save that .25-.5 bu/acre in my opinion.

The second problem I have no idea for what to do. We are getting a lot of straw buildup on top of the cage on the thresher side. We're running the rotor as fast as it will go (1100 +) and have the concave set as tight as it can be without hitting as we do with our other combines in wheat. Does anybody have any suggestions?
I think your running your rotor way to fast. I run mine at 860 in wheat. Where is your loss coming from shoe or rotor? What kind of chopper do you have? I would think reveres bars will make problems worse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I slowed the rotor speed to 870 and that greatly impoved the cage buildup. I still get a little on top but it's mostly clear now. I put in two reverse bars, one on the 3rd row and one on the 4th row about 180 degrees from the 3rd row bar, that really hasn't improved the rotor loss. Loss is still minimal, though. I figure it can't be any over .25 bu/acre from what I count on the ground. Less scientific we hold a bucket on a stick under the straw spreader for about 10 seconds, I can catch about 10 kernels in the straw in that amount of time with a 30' head. The other machine with the standard rotor is usually less than 5 kernels in the same test. Anyway, very little loss, although I was hoping to get it as good as the standard rotor machine.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top