The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since all the posts about the super 7 are scattered amongst Massey lovers/haters and Gleaner lovers/haters, I thought I'd ask this on a new thread....

Has the Super 7 been put up against NH CRs or Lexion Rs yet? I have watched all the official videos and they have just run against red, green, and silver. Any plans to run against the big guns?

·
Registered
245 Posts
We've talking about this and the feeling has been that people would rather see it against a Deere than a Lexion since more people have a Deere. This does not mean we won't be running with a Lexion. It just means we're planning our filming schedule to run with the Deere. Tell me what you think. Will more farmers want to see it vs. the Deere or a Lexion? Same goes for NH. A lot of us here think big things about the Lexion but is that really the case for the majority of farmers. I want farmers to see what we can do in corn vs. a machine they are familiar with so they can make good comparisons. Is Lexion or NH that machine or should we stick with the Deere?

·
Registered
245 Posts
And yes, cowpoke. We would challenge them if its what we thought combine buyers want to see. I'm not so much worried about feeding as they are worried about shoe load. The Gleaner's accelerator rolls and two stage fan system push the wet leaves out before they can pile on the shoe. And even if everything goes absolutely perfect for the NH and Lexion as far as bu/hr, there is still bu/gal, sample quality and grain quality.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could care less about a Gleaner vs. a Deere. If upping a class is a big deal, our Class 5 TR98 smoked a Class 6 9660 STS Deere. They aren't all that impressive. That is why it seems to me that by gunning for the Deeres, you guys are going after the low hanging (and green
) fruit.

In some areas up here in the great white north (lets hope the white stays away a while), there are a lot of either shade of yellow combine. And most guys that go that way never go back to red or green.

I can see that in the midwest, red and green seem to be king, and the ones to go after. But as you move further north, you get to people who know what's best

That all being said, the light weight of the gleaner would sure be nice this year in the wet fields.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would like to see the 7 up against a 570 in beans or corn, I would really like to see it up against it with your flex draper and the Lexion with a MacDon in beans.

Those of us that have left Deere are not impressed when you can bet a Deere, I do it all the time with a Lexion. But I still have Silver blood and would like to see you whip a Lexion.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Are the NH built better than they used to be. Around here they have a reputation as being a Kotex machine: use them once and throw them away. They seemed to have that influence on the CaseIH machines too that's why I'm looking to something else.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
In no til situations weight is everything, ill harvest an extra day or two if necessary so i can keep my compaction down. We had 1st gen lexions, 977'0's, and 8010's custom cut our ground in the last 7 years. the worst for compaction was the Lexion

I love the simplicity of the gleaner and with less moving parts and lacks the jumbled mess of NH's, or CAT hydrolic system. I can fix my Gleaner in the field 95% of the time. CAT would have to come out, and if they didnt have the parts you have to waste a whole day driving to get to a warehouse. I have one CAT dealer in a 200 mile radius and they move more construction equipment(10-1), i have 4 Gleaner dealers in the same area.

So either i run a lil slower possibly with the gleaner have next to no compaction with less fuel consumption, or run the CAT and if it breaks down one time there goes the time i gained with the supposed increased capacity of the cat.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Aug 28, 2010, 9:02am, cattleman2009 wrote: I saw New Hollands beat the pants off the Gleaners and Deeres in my area.

I don't think the TR70 beats the F2 by too much.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Gleanersuper7, it would appear that your target market is the STS and Axial Flow. The Gleaner is a good wheat machine, and you are on the right track to get some good or at least equal performance in corn and beans to a STS and Axial flow. To get a decent volume of new sales or steal market share, it has to come, like Andy says, from the low hanging fruit, red and green. A single rotor is a single rotor.

If, by design or luck, this new Super Gleaner can hang with a hyrid Lexion or CR in the higher branches, then you will have something. So, yes, all the enquiring minds want to see it run up in yellow country and see how it does. Your expectations are in line, and after running with the yellows, you will know. But, you will probably make more sales if you do well in the corn belt.*

*Subject to dealers, service, blah blah blah being available to your customers market.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well put, tr8100. We'll see what's available but I don't think we'll skip on running with a Deere just to run with a Lexion instead. More of the farmers around our dealers choose Deere over NH or Lexion. We got to fish where the fish are.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Guys it's simple, yes in Canada (not exactly AGCO's strong suit), NH & Lexion maybe king, but in the USA, John Deere & Case IH are market leaders by far and away. New Holland is making some progress and Lexion has good machines but the numbers don't lie. John Deere & Case IH are the market leaders in AGCO's "target" area aka, The Cornbelt. This is why they are bench marking it against them so hard, they are going after the fruit that is higher in tree around here.

Give it time, it's not a buy now or never type of thing, let them do their marketing to a certain market now. Hopefully this campaign will be a success and they can move on to other markets.

·
Registered
619 Posts
At the risk of repetition, all of the Gleaners that were in my area years ago, are now all green. I am on an island with silver. I would find it difficult to see any advantage to run against the CAT Lexion. The guys that run them would seem much less flexible to entertain a Gleaner, unlike potential leads in Deere and Case, besides - not a huge market share. With the current team that is promoting and developing the S7, I see strong potential to make inroads to these Deere and Case operators.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I not so sure if the Lexion and NH guys would be harder to convince. They were the ones that weren't color blind when they left the red and green. And they prob left because they weren't happy with what they were offered.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Andy I would love to see it run against a 9070 as well. To be honest though a 9060 wouldn't even compete even though it is in the same class as the S7. This year we will run a 9070 beside a gleaner all fall and I can't wait see how they compare. Already know the tr is not a close comparison. As for the feeder house capacity, well I'll just say that if I could run my R72 at the capacity that the feeder house has(it has been modified to like r76) there is no combine that could keep up, The feeder house is not an issue. Our trial should be a very good one since both combines will be running the exact same pickups and straightcut headers in every kind of condition we will face this fall. In peas, canola, wheat and barley. I know the Gleaner is 330 hp and the cr is 100 hp more but I think it may be a fairly close match as far as capacity goes.
I do agree though that cr is the best rotary on the market(compared to JD and Case). And should be the benchmark to compare against for grain loss and capacity. Not saying jd and case are bad in any way but the twin rotor design is easier to set and get great results as far as grain loss and capacity go.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I get a kick out of guys who say compaction and weight is the most important issue yet they won't invest in tracks. A Lexion on tracks will tread much lightly than any tired machine. So either they are using weight as the easiest argument they can prove or the whole importance of compaction is some BS story.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I lease equipment, I pay for the hours i use so its all but impossible to get a tracked machine, dealers wont special order a combine just to make 15g's/year. I still have yet to even see one with with my own eyes, from any of the manufacturer other than pics online. I keep my overhead down by leasing so it keeps my options limited on what is available,(hard to justify 250K just to have it sit idle 10 months outa the year and do nothing but depreciate in value) and gleaner is by far the best deal I can get in every way. Ive leased every color accept the yellow's.

Lookingglass are you a no-tiller? Or do you run a irrigation operation? Personally we are a dry-land no till operation with 2400 acres in production. Im not sayin the CAT or the NH are not good machines or even superior in areas, but i have yet to see our local NH dealer even sell one NH CR they have demo'd a couple to some STS people but it always ends up back @ the dealership. Landscape here is STS and Axial's with a few silvers here and there. Our crew that ran Lexions with shelbornes on our wheat for 4 years but were too expensive to maintain after the warranty was out so they switched to the STS. Which in my opinion isnt a improvement after you get out of warranty.

A R5,6 series will perform MUCH better in the compaction/fuel consumption/value per dollar invested when u compare them to NH,CIH,Lexion, STS equipped exactly the same as the R series. You cant deny that, and those are the options we have where Im located.

Id like to see the comparision between a Lexion or a NH, it wouldnt make me go get either of those if they out-do the Super series. Im not colorblind, just no way of service out here for either of those. The local CAT dealer would rather sell you a road grader or a dozer, and the only NH dealer (would rather sell you hay equipment or a baler) within who knows how many miles has a worse combine service department than any gleaner dealer ive ever had to deal with.

All in all, im stickin with Gleaner because of the ease of repair when it rarely needs it, access to parts and a cost per hour that no other color can hold a candle to, with parts/labor included in my lease (150$/ seperator hr including any header I want)

Cant wait to see what ya have to say lookinglass like debatin this with ya. Just wondering one more thing, what machines do you run or have run in the past as far as expierience with different colors?

I like this thread alot and hope to have some more good posts about it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.