The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgrading swathers and looking at a Prairie Star 4952C with a 25ft 972 header and a Case WD1203 with a Case/Honey Bee 25ft header. 95% of my swathed acres are canola. How do each of these compare? See more Macdons around. Have a Honey Bee for the combine and have been impressed. Don't know how it handles canola though. Stepping up from a Hesston 8100.

·
Registered
540 Posts
We sure like the Macdon 972 on our westward 9300 turbo. It will cut through almost anything. Very nice header. I don't think you would be disappointed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
One thing about the older Macdons is that the smaller wheeled versions ( non turbo ) lack some clearance for a big canola swath. I have ran into this, where getting it to go under the tractor can be troublesome. 25 ft may be alright though.

·
Super Moderator
4,676 Posts
Can you try both?

Upgrading swathers and looking at a Prairie Star 4952C with a 25ft 972 header and a Case WD1203 with a Case/Honey Bee 25ft header. 95% of my swathed acres are canola. How do each of these compare? See more Macdons around. Have a Honey Bee for the combine and have been impressed. Don't know how it handles canola though. Stepping up from a Hesston 8100.
Any way you could demo both?
The 972 was not a great canola header, the width between rollers was not huge as well as something rarely talked about, the depth from the top of the drapers to the header frame crop exit hole was fairly shallow.
Also, a 972 has a very steep knife angle, the same as draper angle, 973's and newer were 7 degrees flatter.
The 972 started out life primarily as a hay header I believe.

At 25' however you may be fine with a 972, MacDon had far better tractors than others back then.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I went from the 8100 to 4940 with the 972 header, both 25 foot. Big step up in the cab, (comfort, controls, visibility). Reel and canvases have a lot more power. I just opened the hole as big as it could go and it can handle a pretty good crop. I don't have any experience with the honey bee though, although I don't think I will have to.

Field Farm Transport Harvest Harvester

1 - 6 of 6 Posts