The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Has anyone tried swathing canola with a sickle bar mower. I only plan on having 2 acres. Combined direct last year but I have historically used a swather and prefer that method. But no swathers in our area.

Thank you.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hello

Has anyone tried swathing canola with a sickle bar mower. I only plan on having 2 acres. Combined direct last year but I have historically used a swather and prefer that method. But no swathers in our area.

Thank you.

"swathing" means to put it in a swath, you are cutting it and letting it fall down where it is , like the picture below.. how do you plan on picking it up? just hope the wind doesn't blow...
you will be driving on a lot of it wont you if its laying after its cut..

probably not a good plan if you can straight cut it, why only 2 acres?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 acres because my buyer is building a new market.

I have used a sickle bar mower decades ago for hay. Like your picture, my plan would be to have a guide on the end sickle to narrow the swath slightly. I would also put a land wheel on the end of the sickle to raise the bar 12 inches. I will combine the swaths with combine with a regular grain head.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
If you sickle it and the wind blows it will be gone.

·
Ken Adams
1,322 Posts
stuartny - you have me curious - what do you have for a combine and what variety of canola are you thinking of??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JD 4400, for 50 acres of small grains.

I had a problem sourcing organic canola seed last year. I ended up getting untreated non-GMO seed from Ernst seeds. It is un-named variety, labelled "5505C".

·
Registered
977 Posts
When you say regular grain head , do you mean a straight cut head like you would use for wheat?
If so why not use that ,
or do you think it will be too weedy and tough since it's organic and no herbicides will be used.
What part of NY state are you in?
I know of a swather just across ivy lea bridge that is for sale.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes: a rigid head as for cutting wheat.
Yes: being organic, there will be weeds and I cannot dessicate.
I am in SE NY (Columbia Co). so not close to the Ivy Lea Bridge. I do not want to invest in a swather at this scale (which will hopefully change) hence looking to jury rig a sickle mower.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts