The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new flax grower and for various reasons we are going to have to swath the flax this fall. If it gets rained on in the swath will it lose quality or is it like canola and no harm done? Also, I'm guessing it leaves a fluffy swath so high winds could be an issue? Thanks for any tips

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Care to share the 'various reasons' ?

Tried stripping it again this year, disaster. not sure if its because it sapphire or what.

Straight cutting as high as possible just under the bolls is still the best I think.

Yup, cut short they really can blow, twist, and make a huge mess. I would say let it stand till its ready to combine within a couple days if you must swath it. Yes the seed is tough.

Flax Council of Canada

·
Registered
21 Posts
My past experience is that flax is tough and doesn't downgrade. It can even overwinter with minimal downgrading. High winds are a major threat. There is nothing worse than a windblown flax field rolled up in lumps which are worse than canola to deal with. Good luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
If it is standing nice try to roll it down into the stubble. Here in southern AB we've had it blow severely twice so we won't swath anymore unless we can combine right away. Also if you combine the straw with a conventional those swaths blow really easy and make a mess to clean up. Rotary straw swaths stay in place pretty good.
Dusty

·
Registered
931 Posts
I swathed some on Friday and were real fluffy drove by field this morning and they have settled down so if you can get a couple days with no wind I think they will be ok. Also for combined swaths if you swap your chopper fins from side to side lower tail board and pull stationary knives back run straw through chopper and it blows it into a tight row for burning and you don't have all the little blobs across the field.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.